2023 veggie garden

labradors
Head Chicken

2023 veggie garden

Post by labradors » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:09 am

I started all my tomato and eggplant seeds for the garden yesterday. Peppers were started a couple of weeks ago.

I also started a few early tomatoes and peppers for containers a month ago. I always grow a few potted tomatoes on the patio, but sweet peppers are a new idea for me. I get fed up having to wait until late summer to harvest my peppers, so I figured I would get a few early ones this year.

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: 2023 veggie garden

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:32 am

You energetic person you :)
It's -9 C with windchill of -19, so anything that has garden in it gets my attention :)
I find tomatoes started before mid April get too leggy, let us know how it turns out for you.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:03 pm

I started my tomatoes last week too. See what happens
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:30 pm

My house is still under full-blown renovation and I have nowhere to start plant this year 😞.
I'm already missing it.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:41 am

20230324_113407.jpg
having a few minutes (rare as that seems) I thoight to take a snap of my tomato seedling start. All seeds were set last Thursday and it looks like 2 varieties had dud seeds, I will have to actually buy some to start afresh. San Marzano and Cup of Moldova. I got the San Marzano from a friend but i think they were old seed. Oh well.
40 varieties less the 2...I can buy the San Marzano readily but the Cup of Moldova are by mail order so they will be a no go this year i guess.
Peppers were set that same day but haven't showed up yet which i expect anyway. Broccoli and other brassicas have all cracked the soil yesterday so yay on that.
Spring has sprung!! :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:24 am

Tom, do you have a greenhouse? Brocolli? Really? It must be a constant battle with the Cabbage Whites!

My tomato seedlings are mostly up now. One was Pure (old seeds), so I'm giving them a bit longer. The other (Rose) turned out to be dud seeds from 2015, so I have started some even older ones {LOL}.

Ontario Chick. If it makes any difference, I raise my seedlings in the cool basement under grow lights. I think the 50 degree temp keeps them nice and stout as they aren't too leggy by planting out time ;).

Linda

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:41 am

Man we have so much going on I don't know where to start! I built a greenhouse 3 years ago. I think its been longer than that since I've posted on here, sorry guys!

Lizzie has like hundreds if not thousands of plants in the greenhouse!

There is a heated nursery inside the greenhouse which is just a modified plant shipping crate wrapped in plastic, a window with sliding shower doors, cement patio stones for a heatsynk, thermostats for heating and cooling, heat pads and ceramic heating elements as the heat source. Its kick ass and a fan to exhaust the excess heat when it gets over 80°F.

Theres a raised bed inside the greenhouse thats insulated and covered with clear roofing. We have had something growing in there all year. Kale just loved it but when the temps came up a bit we planted more kale, Romain, Swiss chard, n a few other things.

We're looking forward to getting all the gardens going this year. We're absolutely soaked right now and in the middle of a heavy downpour, just as things were starting to dry up. Way it goes. Lol

Lizzie started peas in the greenhouse and planted them in the garden a few days ago. There garden is on high ground and they are doing just fine.
Screenshot_20230331-115518_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230331-115505_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230331-115431_Gallery.jpg
This is a tiny garbage can pond in the corner of the greenhouse with some rosy red minnows in it. There is also a waterfall but it's not on right now. It is really nice though.
Screenshot_20230331-115446_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230331-115709_Gallery.jpg
Al

Home Grown Poultry

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:34 pm

Linda...nope..no greenhouse...that is in the plan for this summer's build...I have wanted to get to that for a couple of years but there was always something more pressing to do...i have grow racks with lights in the basement...but i grow far more varieties of tomatoes as well as all the other 'starts' and it runs out of space when I transplant the wee things into their own pots...I snatch all the returns from the racks at the Independent grocer near the end of the garden market there...free pots, what's not to like?...i have a friend in portland that started a mass of San Marzano for me so that's covered and the Cup of Moldova that I thought failed came on a week after everyone else..so its all good....the downside this year is that it has been so gloomy so far that running the grow lights has put a strain on my electrical system...the solar input is just not up to snuff this spring...waayyyyyyy too cloudy!!!!...grrrrrr!!!...I wonder how Hydeo One is dealing with the lower input from the solar farms all over the place. Anyway, onions and leeks and brassicas are all started along with a bevvy of floral selections for MJs flower beds...ots a green world down here....more potting to do... :run:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:58 pm

oh wow!...such a lovely day out today so i went out to the garden to chk on stuff. I noticed the row of over wintered, in the ground parsnips had started to sprout greenery so out came the garden fork. I love springtime parsnips. And, I was not disappointed, so I took a quick photo. I threw my glove in for scale. This was the yield from 7 feet of plants. It is in a raised bed with about 16 inches of growing depth. The carrots are in the same bed but are out in fall, obviously. long beautiful roots. Very few stubbys.
20230408_125759_HDR.jpg
:run:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:06 pm

@TomK will try that this year. Didn't realise you could do that in this climate!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Gardening”