2023 veggie garden

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: 2023 veggie garden

Post by KimChick » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:57 am

I love Burgundy bush beans; they keep their shape and turn bright green when cooked. The other beans are doing well.
We have had troubles with bugs again this year. They got the best of the zucchini plants. I'm not sure if DH injected the main stems with a bug killer this year. Looking after the plants is his forte.
Yesterday, I cleaned up and weeded the row of kale, then washed the leaves. Today, is blanching and freezing day. But first, before it rains, I'll get out and do the same with the Swiss chard. Maybe pull out a few large beets, too.

Farrier
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Farrier » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:03 am

What kind kale? I refuse to eat or grow curly kale, but love the red russian kale. First green in the spring, last in the fall. Seeds itself like dill, so easy to grow. let it start then transplant where you want it.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:11 am

Absolute favorite in the tomato category this year Sungold cherry, right after I realized they will not turn RED, nice orangey color, absolutely delicious, very few actually made it all the way to the kitchen. :)

My crazy raspberries are blooming on tips of the 7 foot canes, if they actually finished I would need a ladder to harvest them.

Meanwhile the wild turkeys have made a dust bath in the bed that had garlic in it, no amount of covering it will discourage them.
Not a terrible problem accept that too much of my precious soil is getting thrown out of the bed.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:34 pm

Farrier wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:03 am
What kind kale? I refuse to eat or grow curly kale, but love the red russian kale. First green in the spring, last in the fall. Seeds itself like dill, so easy to grow. let it start then transplant where you want it.
DH said he planted Italian kale. I prefer the curly kale because the leaves are larger, and they grow like palm trees when harvested from below. Mind you, the Italian kale is doing that too, but the leaves are a lot more narrow.

Farrier
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Farrier » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:54 am

Red Russian Kale. The only kind I will grow. Not the curly.

Return to “Gardening”