Question What is left in your veg garden ?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

What is left in your veg garden ?

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:26 am

Unusual end of September, cucumbers still in the bed that should be by now clean and waiting for garlic, but a bit reluctant to rip them up, since there are still few cukes on there.

Swiss chard being trimmed on regular bases, judging by the hoof prints and the fact I saw 2 does and 4 !!!!! Bambies crossing the other day...........
.....just past the sign City just installed, so obviously deer do understand pictographs ;)
Garden Sept 20, 2022.jpg
Fall raspberries are blooming, the bumblebees found them, but from experience the frost will get them before they ever ripen.
Fall raspberries.jpg

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: What is left in your veg garden ?

Post by TomK » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:53 am

OC...Cukes are same here...lots and lots....the early ones were a little thick skinned as a result of the hot dry conditions but plentiful...pumpkins and squash are close to harvest time..still getting zucchini too...carrots, beets and parsnips are amazing...tomatoes have no intention of stopping..have been giving them away lately, there are so many...garlic is out, onions are out...I have to thin the bed of everbearing strawberries and raspberries as they have gotten too thick...cabbages are being harvested and turned out huge..kohlrabi and chard are going strong...MJ just put in some fall lettuce and arugula...lots of beans on the trellis drying for seed and dried...my potatoes this year were amazing, and i had nary a beetle...just a fewon one end of the Red Pontiacs and no damage...notging on the Yukon Gold or the red fingerlings...insect wise its been a strange year..very few bees or mosquitoes...lotsa bumblebees tho ..all in all, I am delighted with the year...lotta canning coming up... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:26 pm

Tomatoes, tomatoes did I mention tomatoes? No late blight this year. Chickens are throwing tomatoes back at me.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:34 pm

Tomatoes have been wonderful with the dry weather and are still going strong, although they are splitting because I don't always get out there and pick them before it rains. I've dehydrated a ton of cherry toms.

Peppers are really coming in fast and furious now. I've chopped and frozen bags and bags of those. Hope I manage to use them all this winter.

Carrots are good. I don't usually bother, but these did very well. I haven't dug up the parsnips yet. I only had 4 because I used the rest of the 2 year old seed packet, just to see....

Cukes have been amazing, although they get too big too fast so the chickens have been enjoying one every day. They also get tomatoes every day.

Chard was disappointing this year. I grew Silverado, and it very strong tasting. Not sure if it's the variety or the drought that caused that, but I'm going back to Lucullus next season!

Linda

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:37 pm

Our carrots are great but I have these giant parsnips. Really strange.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:44 pm

Also a big shout out to @Farrier1987 . I am picking a big bowl of raspberries every day still.
Mutt chickens for eggs

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:09 pm

Where to begin...
Still have a few cukes here, too and a couple of zucchini. Plus, we still have tomatoes, peppers, beets, carrots, Swiss chard, kale, parsley, maybe 1 cabbage left, eggplant, rutabaga, and only a couple of pie pumpkins and squash.
The squash did not do well this year; the cucumbers did very well. Garlic and onions did not do well this year, either.
The Swiss chard was bird-pecked this year, not good. Wild birds, that is.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:33 am

OK, Swiss Card in the fridge (where BTW it's warmer then outside ;) in preparation for blanching tomorrow.
Deer and turkeys harvested the top half, so it's going to be the bottom half for us ;)

Rest of the cukes in the fridge bed cleaned and prepared for garlic.

Now about the raspberries, should I cover them overnight ? will it make any difference whatsoever ? :idunno:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:49 pm

Aren't you good Ontario Chick?

My veggie garden is a mess. Many of the bell peppers are rotting. Some tomatoes are ripening, the runner beans look really healthy and are in flower (but I don't think we'll get any beans). The Fortex beans are still putting out a few beans! Thankfully, they are twice as long as regular beans, so there might be enough for one more meal :).

Guess I should plant the garlic soon. I lost half my row last winter (squirrels digging?) so there won't be many cloves to plant.......

Linda

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:36 pm

Raspberries it shouldn't matter. I didn't last year and I'm still picking - they're amazing.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Gardening”