2022 is the Year of the Garden in Canada

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: 2022 is the Year of the Garden in Canada

Post by KimChick » Thu May 05, 2022 4:18 pm

I'm thinking my crocuses have bit the dust, darn it all. Broad leaf grape hyacinths have come and gone with a showing of only 1 small daffodil that was in the grouping. Then only one other group of daffodils are in bloom. There should be 2 more groups of daffodils. I'm thinking it was a rabbit that chewed some day lily and tulip leaves. And I have to repair the vine netting around my gardens to keep the hens out.
DH has started a whole lot of vegetables from seed, and they are doing well. This year, I tried starting tuberous begonias from seed, unsuccessfully; there are 2 minute seedlings sill alive. Then I seeded other flowers in the greenhouse - lemon balm, portulaca, borage, French marigolds, bloodflower (old asclepias curasavica seeds). Next will be tall Mexican marigolds and see if they really deter weeds in the vegetable garden.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:27 am

So I says to DH, the tomatoes are blooming, it will be time to put the hoops up soon, but no hurry....
...and next morning half of the tomato plants were eaten to the ground, blooms and all !!!
I would have thought they taste awful, but what do I know, after all the deer are happy to eat potato tops, so pretty much the same difference :)

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:24 pm

The deer ate a couple of my potted tuberous begonias. I was thinking there is enough to eat out there; leave my plants alone.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:02 am

I think sometimes they just want a bit of a menu change ;)

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:08 pm

I'm so sorry that you lost your tomatoes OC and that KimChick lost her potted begonias to the greedy deer :(. I'd be hopping mad!!!! As it is, I lost my favourite tomato to some kind of stem rot and I'd given my spare to a friend. Not to worry as I have plenty more (different varieties) and even some volunteers popping up and looking very healthy.

I don't know about "year of the garden". I think it's more like "year of the garden eaters!" We have lots of rabbits, and the cutworms have devasted my chard and chomped on the kale seedlings.

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:29 pm

Like you, I have many tomato volunteers, prove of the mild winter and also couple of potato plants poped up from last year, perhaps with the global warming we will have some New Perennials ? :(

The growth on almost anything including trees and shrubs have been just phenomenal, with the loss of some of our "passive air-conditioning" trees, we will be a bit short of shade this year.

Return to “Gardening”