Question Garlic

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Garlic

Post by Happy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:13 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:39 am
I still haven't got used to not getting the first snows in September here. We used to live in Orillia.
Only the stupid stay forever in a snow belt 😉
(Spoken like a true idiot...) However, this year I am still picking tomatoes and peppers daily!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:58 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:12 am
TomK wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:30 pm
funny that this topic comes up all the time...people will do what they want with no regard to well intentioned advice....my rule of thumb is end of Oct....
:lol:
that's all fine and dandy for all you people in the southern regions, but we up here in the far North expect first snow first week in November and if I waited until end of Oct, the penguins would be gathering in my garden getting in the way.
I will admit to planting garlic randomly anytime after Carp Fair, since I have been doing it that way for 30 years and it has worked, I am getting very relaxed about any kind of gardening deadlines ;)
oh ye of little faith...or even those living.003% of a degree of latitude norther of me here...lol...speaking of gardening deadlines, something is awry...went out to get a turnip today from the garden and the bean arbour was rife with young ready to pick Blue Coco pole beans..they just have not stopped....I had taken oit the Dragons Tongue bush bean plants about 3 weeks ago and in their place are new bean plants coming up..about 4 inches tall...they will never make it but boy oh boy what a year...still getting tomatoes btw... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:01 pm

i'm still getting tomatoes here too! and worst, the volunteer tomatoes that have sprouted from the seeds from this years crop (interesting) are stupidly just getting little green tomatoes right now. go figure. i'm contemplating digging up a couple of the plants and bringing them in....they look amazing....haha.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:36 pm

My tomatoes have gotten their second wind too. I trimmed them to keep them contained and set more tomatoes but they’re not covered in suckers with flowers on them. I planted garlic in the garden this spring since I wasn’t here last fall and it came up then died, I planted onions around them and they’re now growing again now that the onions are all gone! This years’s garlic is going in somewhere else but I’ll leave the stragglers and see what happens!

My zinnias are still going strong too and the bees and butterflies are grateful.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:34 pm

Our tomatoes are done; beans are long done; pie pumpkins got hit with the squash beetle; cucumbers got hit again with the cucumber beetle. I got only 6 cups of cooked pumpkin out of 3; one was a third rotten. We still have parsley, kale, Swiss chard, carrots, and beets.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:23 pm

I just went out and my beans are coming up again. It was only 25c here today. The mosquitos shortened our walk tremendously. I cannot wait for frost...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:41 pm

I have another little lone bean coming up. STill picking raspeberries!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:48 pm

Oh and my zinnias are still beautiful too!! And we have more dandelions in bloom....

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:39 pm

Got my garlic planted two days ago! The weather was gorgeous and lots of rain in the forecast. It may not be the end of October Tom, but I did it anyway and it's a HUGE relief that it's done :). I used my composted chicken manure on them, and topped them off with bark chips from a massive poplar that we had removed.

Now to work on removing stuff from the veggie garden. The colder temps give me more incentive to rip stuff out......

Linda

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:41 pm

I need 2 good frosts to sweeten the brussel sprouts. they are 5 feet tall and the sprouts are HUGE this year....go figure. At least i only saw 1 mosquito today, and it was on the horse (and got dead). the cooler weather is nice today. garlic will go in this weekend i think. fingers crossed.

Return to “Gardening”