2021 garden thread

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

2021 garden thread

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:59 pm

All thawed here and soil workable. Putting in another raised bed.

Potatoes planted, shooting for Fathers day new potatoes. had to buy seed this year. Kennebecks will go in in late may. Norlands and Red Chieftains planted for summer eating. Couldnt find any Caribes which are one of my favorites. Didnt grow enough last year to save any seed, first time in years.

Raised bed of salad stuff planted. Radishes up. and today I saw lettuce and beets and peas poking through. And my wild mustard greens are 6 in high. Walking onions we are eating for a month or so now.

Made a new strawberry bed in one of the raised beds, planted last fall. Chickens were at it early in the spring, I didnt notice and had to replant, but they are coming nicely, laid chicken wire over it for now so they cant dig. Covering my salad be too. It is a good thing I like having them around.

Not over dry here, but we could use a good two day soaker.

Others, please tell us how yours is going, pictures are welcome too.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: 2021 garden thread

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:14 pm

Carrots, spinach, lettuce planted. Strawbs comig up nicely. Hoping the chooks didn't damage too much. Raspberries putting up shoots. Rhubarb going crazy. Fava beans in.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:40 pm

Peas are planted. Seeds have been started in the indoor greenhouse and have sprouted. Noticed the rapini growing in the garden. I should go out there again to check the rhubarb and horseradish.
Hopefully within the week we will have our 8 x 12 greenhouse up; the foundation is ready. (It was our Christmas present to each other.)
I will be dividing 3 perennials this year - standard size yellow/purple irises, dwarf deep purple irises, yellow yarrow.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 am

Wow, you all so busy, I am looking at a tray of Jiffy pots and contemplating what to put in them :)

garlic up and second last of the "digesters" emptied on the garden, oh, and something is eating the rhubarb leaves, hope they get a belly ache !

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:38 am

Tomato, pepper and eggplant seedlings are under the lights. Pots of larger tomatoes and peppers adorn the windowsills because I couldn't help myself and started some very early. Yet more plants are under lights in the LR. We are supposed to have a very hot summer which would be great for black tomato varieties, but none made my list this year.......

In the garden I planted four varieties of chard, and some perennial arugula (new to me) and marigolds along the edge. I'll wait a bit longer before planting anything else outside, just in case of a frost.

Linda

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:42 am

garlic is up about a foot now, and the garden has been almost cleaned out. still need to rake the asparagus bed of all the old dead stalks. I haven't actually planted anything IN the garden yet, but the greenhouse is full of flats....cabbage, lettuce x3, zinnias, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, thyme, oregano, onions have all sprouted. i now have 3 little london plane trees in the greenhouse having started them from seed found in the bush along the riverfront. about 150 lily plants grown from seed, and a bucket with russian sage clippings rooting nicely. today i need to finish planting the seed for the squash/melons etc. i start them in 4 inch pots though, not flats....will have absolutely no extra room in the greenhouse this year! the garden itself is almost ready to plant. i have to test the soil this year and see what the pH is...i suspect from last year's growth that i really do need some lime, and as luck would have it, we just limed the farm field so i happen to have a nice little bucket of lime LOL. potash is coming later this week for the field, so i'll test and see if i need any of that too. need to top dress the asparagus with the manure pile again. not a great time of year for my back to be bad again. sigh. one step at a time. the raspberries are just starting to bud here and our fruit trees will be blooming soon-plums first, then cherries shortly after. the apples are starting to leaf already. all our fruit trees we planted 2 years ago look absolutely awesome, along with the maples we put along the driveway. everyone has good buds. we transplanted a little london plane tree seedling from our bush to our lawn...it seems to have survived the transplant so far. can't wait for the eastern redbuds to flower this year, the bushes doubled in size last year, should be a nice show. forsythia is in bloom too, and our lilac hedge we planted has survived and is leafing out too. we need some rain, it's pretty dry here on the sand. and our grass will need to be cut by the weekend probably! and having only 1 horse now the paddock is actually growing faster than she can eat it, so it's nice and green around here this spring!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:51 am

When do I put my rutabagas in?
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 am

i put those in about the same time as brocolli and cauliflower-if they are the winter storage type rutabaga-mid april/early may if there's no snow or really cold nights forecasted (seed). if you are transplanting i would do that early may. if they are the smaller summer turnip then seed late may or transplate late may/early june...they grow fast.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:01 pm

Well I just called Harvex in Addison to ask if their seed potatoes were in yet to be told we hadn't preordered so sod off basically. We did get some there last year and had asked last month! Great customer relations.
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:49 pm

hm....i guess i will go through my leftover stored ones and plant the best.....i havent even thought about those yet and sure didnt preorder anything...

Return to “Gardening”