2021 garden thread

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: 2021 garden thread

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:35 pm

garlic will be just fine! i'm a bit worried about the tulips. sigh. oh well, it's snowing like crazy here and DH has the house about 35C so if i cut any now they'll go into shock in the house! I did find asparagus up about an inch in the garden when i got home...it was already snowing on it, but i just shovelled a pile of dirt onto it, hopefully it will survive. if not, we'll just cut it back on thursday when sane weather returns. Our poor cherry trees are in full bloom. there go the cherries again this year. sigh. I'm glad i planted some sour cherries 2 years ago, they haven't flowered yet, so hopefully will be spared. the snow is sticking to the grass now...going white. argh! if it's nasty i may work from home tomorrow! I put some shade cloth over the plants and flats in the greenhouse and moved everything close together under the shade cloth tent....with the heater underneath. hopefully that will be enough to keep things warm in there for the next 2 nights. most of the stuff that's up are perennials and lettuce, brassicas.....but my squash were just sprouting and the tomatoes are up about an inch. oh well. if they don't make it, there are more seeds. if the wind stays down we should hopefully be okay.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:52 pm

My apricot is in bloom, darn it!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:12 pm

Our backyard greenhouse is up; seedlings are in it. Husband had to put a heater out there because of the sudden drop in temperature, though.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:56 am

Potatoes up. Peas, onions, garlic lettuce radishes coming along well. Havent seen any beets or carrots up yet. Berry bushes starting to pop leaves. Apricot tree in bloom.

Should be eating salad in the next few days, I watered the raised beds this morning, not real dry, been waiting on rain and get about 2 tenths every few days, but today we are to be up to 25. I figured we are going to get heat and strong sun, with some extra water things should really benefit.

New strawberry bed looking good. I like the raised bed, way easier to sit beside and pick weeds than it is on the ground and with the hoe.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:41 am

we lost all the cherry blossoms and all the plum blossoms it looks like....sigh. did get the garden tilled (thank you DH!) and manured (thank you DH and a special kudos to the 20 yo atv that managed to pull the manure spreader in circles through 6 inches of loose dirt!). I have removed 6 mice from the greenhouse in the last week....and so far things have remained planted and are starting to sprout! whoohoo! looks like we'll need to cut the grass soon. and need trellis in the garden for the pole beans and the peas. need to get creative, just don't have any decent ideas right now. LOL.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:33 pm

Been needing some rain, came today, about an inch over 24 hrs or so. Very welcome. Things should really grow now.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:32 pm

Indoor and outdoor gardening, April 30, I think I should have stuck with the indoor kind?
indoor gardening.jpg
Veg garden.jpg

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat May 01, 2021 10:25 am

Looking good OC! The basil looks wonderful and the daffs are pretty :).

My daffs have put on a great show this season, despite a frost and recent late snow.

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat May 01, 2021 10:40 am

Thank you @labradors , I should have mentioned that the "green threads in the jiffy pots are tomato plants, or hope to be ;) seeds left from last year, and showing second set of leaves today, so here is hoping... :)

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat May 01, 2021 11:47 am

OC I guess you have 4 weeks left until plant-out for your tomato seedlings. At least you don't have massive tomato plants decorating all your windowsills andwishing that they could go outside! Your babies will probably catch up to mine and do better for not getting pot-bound {LOL}. I'm sure you know to rip off the nasty nets on the peat pots before potting up ;).

Linda

Return to “Gardening”