2021 garden thread

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: 2021 garden thread

Post by Brebis » Fri May 21, 2021 7:13 am

I spent a large part of my days moving my seedlings around the deck to dappled shade but some of them still got sunburned. Seem to be doing well now. The bay laurel, now at least 5’ and 20lbs, had to be shuffled around the backyard too after I put it out for the summer but hasn’t burned at all, even with quite a few new leaves.

Hope your poor tomatoes recover @Ontario Chick!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri May 21, 2021 7:15 am

Luckily they were extras, also noticed burnt edges on cuke leaves not sure if frost burn or UV
got to love spring in Ottawa valley.... ;)

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Fri May 21, 2021 8:20 am

i didn't even know veges can get sunburnt...i thought they liked the full sun, all day...i was reading on the net and they can get sunburn all year round :-o. I found two articles on sunburn. the older i get the more i realize how little i know :lol:

Sunburn in Vegetables Revisited; Use of Particle Films

Sunburn/Sunscald, Squash Diseases, and Spider Mites
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri May 21, 2021 8:43 am

WE NEED RAIN!!!!!! corn down here is going in 3 inches deep....there's no water above that. so i sure hope that our forecast is correct and it rains saturday and sunday! i have absolutely no problem planting in the rain. it's easier on the plants! I did work last night about 8pm and got the spinach, lettuce and broccoli and some of the cauliflower planted. I have NEVER seen 32C here on may 21. EVER. and i've been keeping a journal for at least 10 years out here. We better NOT get frost next week. we usually do. argh! had to open the greenhouse up wide-all windows and doors....and put all the plants on trays that i fill with water twice a day to keep the plants from drying out. my zucchini already has yellow edges....oh well. and i had to fight the pumpkin off when i opened up this morning! lol.

Also need to dig up some creeping phlox for a friend and split some daylilies i think. I need another garden. i need to weed too. haha. think i'll need sunscreen today!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat May 22, 2021 11:57 am

We need rain too!!!!
Getting a bit tired of lugging water to the garden, with two beds still empty, can't set up the sprinkler yet.
Beans up and growing like crazy, and just found out that what I thought was red lettuce seedlings are actually something else.

we need to hear from @TomK I am sure wonderful things are happening in his garden ! :)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat May 22, 2021 1:03 pm

DH has set up a fancy soaker hose/sprinkler thingy attached to our rail collection totes.This is in conjunction with a drainage system that drains towards the raised beds. It works!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Post by Blizblaz » Sat May 22, 2021 2:49 pm

I was planning on building some planter boxes this year for some gardening, since my ground is just hard clay, and I was hoping I could keep the chickens away from it. Not sure what I’ll be able to get done with the price of wood, and the fact that some lumber yards are just plain sold out of a lot of stuff. I’ll have to work with my ugly tire garden a little longer maybe...
I’ve also had no luck with my seedling attempts. Nothing I really wanted to get going is working for me, and a lot of the garden centres are just sad this year. I’ve been to a couple of nurseries in the area as well, but I can never find the types of tomatoes I want. I did get a black cherry tomato plant at the farmer’s market, and a few I know nothing about, so we’ll see how that goes. Last year we got a late frost, and all my stuff died/was delayed to the point of me getting next to nothing out of it.
I am planting some long term projects this year, like hazelnuts, haskap, cherries and such, so if that works for me, I’ll be happy! I can’t even seem to get rhubarb to grow, though...at least I have the wild fruit to fall back on, if nothing else works. Haha lots of wild strawberry flowers up right now!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat May 22, 2021 11:25 pm

Seedlings are doing well in the greenhouse; DH has done a lot of planting in the garden so far.
I agree with everyone - yes, yes, yes, we need rain! It skirted us today. But even in Hamilton, there was next to nothing.
I have a few annuals to plant, and I have ordered two different perennials from Botanus in BC because no one around here has what I want.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon May 24, 2021 11:45 am

1mm of rain in the last 2 weeks is NOT enough! argh! my grass is crispy and it's still may.....everything that went into the garden got sunburnt but we've been watering like crazy so hopefully it will pull through. i still have all the winter squash to go in, and all the annuals and perennials to plant. if i can get off my butt and go and do...i might need to take my caffeine with me. I did find a nice garden kneeler/seat that has handles which makes it SOOOOOO much easier to get off the ground with my back. Making the job a lot easier this year. wish i'd gotten this years ago. and someone on another site (FB i think) recommended me OKeefe's working hands lotion to repair my hands. OMG this stuff is wonderful! my sand rips the moisture out of my hands so fast. So i would highly recommend it for seriously dry skin! We have the battle of the wasps/yellow jackets here. they're absolutely insane. we have taken to sitting with a fly swatter outside.....and put up wasp traps everywhere. gah! it's only may!!!!
today we'll check for morels for the last time this year. we've had zero water, so i doubt we'll find anything. and we'll wear the deet for sure with all the ticks this year.
okay....off to plant.....with caffeine in tow LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon May 24, 2021 9:25 pm

We finally got some rain. :) There was 2 1/2" at my place in the last few days, and more forecast for tonight and tomorrow. It has already made a difference in the plants and trees. There have been a few frogs croaking off and on. I haven't heard any for a couple of years. I like frogs.

Return to “Gardening”