2021 garden thread

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: 2021 garden thread

Post by Jaye » Mon May 03, 2021 8:08 am

@Happy , yep - Costco. :-) I really like it too. I bought the translucent shelf liners on Amazon. They've already contained a couple of accidental messes I've made, so I'm glad I have them.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon May 03, 2021 10:47 pm

Jaye wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:08 am
@Happy , yep - Costco. :-) I really like it too. I bought the translucent shelf liners on Amazon. They've already contained a couple of accidental messes I've made, so I'm glad I have them.
Great idea!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu May 06, 2021 8:24 am

Carrots up, yippee :)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu May 06, 2021 9:08 am

heavy frost last night. my redbuds aren't going to bloom this year :-( i'm super glad i didn't put the lettuce in the garden. and we picked the asparagus last night (YUM!) thankfully. i should be able to get the peas out in the next week i would hope! this hot then frost then hot again thing is frustrating this year. i had to get some new plant trays, those arrived now, so i can get on with the potting on of some of things. i need to get more potting soil....and find some time LOL. Have left over cedar mulch too for mulching things as they go in. I'm going to do the lettuce through plastic again i think, and the strawberries too....maybe sometime we'll have less wind so i can put the plastic down. fingers crossed! Also sprouted about 30 more asparagus plants, and will give 10 to the neighbour and plant the rest in our asparagus patch. fresh new asparagus in the spring is awesome.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 06, 2021 10:28 am

Our asparagus has come up well I assume we don't cut this year because it's first year?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu May 06, 2021 12:11 pm

if the spears are the thickness of a pencil or bigger they're good to eat. Just don't pick after mid june and let the rest grow up and go to fronds and then die back at the end of the year to replenish the roots. Leave the thin ones too if they shoot up some thin ones.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed May 12, 2021 8:45 am

This looks to me like another one of those years where I will be carrying seedlings from inside to outside for what seems like weeks on end, but will try to be patient !!!!!
Lettuce in the garden seems to be surviving well, some carrots up, at least thats what I think I put in there.
No sign of parsnips of beans....

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed May 12, 2021 9:03 am

Spinach, fava beans and rutabaga germinated well.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed May 12, 2021 10:04 am

I started hardening off my tomatoes and eggplants today! 4 or 5 DRY days in a row sound good to me and I will decide whether or not to plant in a week when I can see the long-range forecast :).

Linda

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Wed May 12, 2021 11:06 am

i seem to be stuck in the groundhog day of cover up the plants at night and uncover again in the morning. no sign of the peas yet....but it's getting dry here, we could actually use some of your rain @labradors!
i needed to pot on some squashes and soon the broccoli and cauliflower MUST go out! like maybe tomorrow....more frost forecast for tonight. they're big enough i'll be able to wrap the stems against the cutworms, but too big to cover if we are to get a hard frost...although once they get through the transplant they'll be just fine with frost.

Return to “Gardening”