2021 garden thread

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: 2021 garden thread

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:54 am

Last of the Swiss chard harvested for todays lunch and the deer ate the last of the celery tops, so this makes it an official closing of the garden for another year.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:24 pm

Happy wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:20 am
I am considering giving up on cucs, squash, melons, zucchini. At least for a year or two to see if I can get rid of the dreaded cucumber beetles. The amount of work required to stay on top of them is just not worth the yield. I picked beetles every morning and evening. I had yellow containers out to trap them (which did help but not enough) Anybody found that this has worked?
We had the same problem. This was definitely a year of pests.
@labradors - I made note of that bug resistant variety of cucumbers. Thanks!

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:24 pm

Ate the last strawberry today, despite being half white and not quite fully ripe it still had a nice flavour…I’ll have to savour it until the first one next year!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:52 pm

We chowed down on the last of the raspberries. Those ever blooming plants were amazingly hardy….both the red and white varieties.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:35 pm

20211120_103917.jpg
just so.i can brag a bit...just harvested the parsnips yesterday...decided not to overwinter them in the ground this year...and no, i didn't do any trickery with the camera :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:38 am

I still have the greatest carrots going!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:34 am

Pretty impressive @TomK , mine did very well accept that at about 6" they hit the bedrock and turned, so I have all these parsnips with right angle in them ;)

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:41 pm

@Ontario Chick they’ll fit in a small pot without being cut in half lol!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:05 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:43 pm
STill picking wonderful toms and digging potatoes which have been great. Loved the little fingerling types in raised beds ad the Chieftains are excellent, Foodbank is doing well.
Raspberry question. These are great and I'm still picking. I have several types some from @Farrier1987 that are yilding so well I've had canes break. Heritage which is a 1st year fruiter and 2 types on 2nd year canes. What do I do know for pruning and stuff and can I move plants to expand the bed?
The ones you got from me are a variety called Polska. Still picking a few on mine. Let them go completely dormant and dead looking, all leaves gone. (I usually wait til Feb or so) and then take the lopping shears and cut them off about 3 in above the ground. Commercially I understand they go over them with a lawnmower. They put up new shoots i the spring and will fruit about the first of August.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:34 am

Parsnips have always flummoxed me, always spotty germination. In 2020, I had a pretty good catch thanks to advice from TomK. I left a few from2020 in the ground, thinking I would collect some seed. Also used a fair number of the leaves in salads, not the same as, but reminds me of celery leaves.

So this past summer, they grew over 6 ft high and flowered and made seed and I collected a fair bit. And of course a fair bit fell on the ground around them, which I did not pay any attention to. In August, around and about, a bunch of parsnip plants sprouted up. I mostly left them and hoed around them a little. Real good natural germination. I left them there, thinking that might be eating parsnips next year. Will see. Pics of the parsnips attached, the old dead stems behind are last years, foreground the young ones this year I have left for next year.
Parsnips, Old behind, young in foreground
Parsnips, Old behind, young in foreground
Young Pasnips Volunteer
Young Pasnips Volunteer

And my raspberrries, still producing after several frosts. This pic taken Nov 24. Not as sweet as before, but lots of flavour. I havent really been picking since mid Sept, but some ways I should. With the cooler weather, no bugs or wasps. I will cut these canes to about 3 in in January or Feb, and they will do the same next year. I really like this primocain fruiting variety. Good taste, produce for a long time, and easy care. My variety is Polka.
Rasp Nov 24
Rasp Nov 24
More Rasp Nov 24
More Rasp Nov 24
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Gardening”