2021 garden thread

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Re: 2021 garden thread

Post by Blizblaz » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:44 am

A squirrel enjoying the fruits of my labours - helping himself to a strawberry and eating it right in front of me!
6E7B67DA-32DE-40F9-9987-4347577F6505.jpeg

shaded
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by shaded » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:13 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:40 pm
My rutabagas are runniing amok! Does anyone cook and then freeze them????
I have a lacto-fermented eastern european pickle recipe-much like pickled turnip but they take forever to cure.
I also have piggies for anyone with too much of anything or the cleanup after canning!
Buckeye,WhChantie,StdDarkCornish,BCMarans,LB leghorns,Ancona,BBSAmeraucana. BSW,BR,Slate,Narry Turkeys.
Member of Rare Breeds Canada/Heritage Livestock Canada
Honey fr homestead bees & Maple Syrup.Lumber, Heirloom fruit trees&plants.
Tamworth Pigs, Goats coming.

shaded
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by shaded » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:18 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:32 am
And about the rutbaga. I keep reading it's more tendeer when larger, is that correct?
sweeter after frost
Buckeye,WhChantie,StdDarkCornish,BCMarans,LB leghorns,Ancona,BBSAmeraucana. BSW,BR,Slate,Narry Turkeys.
Member of Rare Breeds Canada/Heritage Livestock Canada
Honey fr homestead bees & Maple Syrup.Lumber, Heirloom fruit trees&plants.
Tamworth Pigs, Goats coming.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:02 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:14 am
The cucumbers have gone absolutely out of control, when they finished with their support trellis, they headed over to been poles, they must just love this weather, whatever it is :)

one half of garlic bed harvested, nice medium size, this year in the downsize efforts, planted only 65 instead of 125 in one bed, so much easier to keep it weed free, was able to replant with Boston lettuce and Mesclun, see what happens ;)
Our cucumbers are withering and dying because of the cucumber beetle.... for the second year in a row. I at least have enough for 2 or 3 more jars of dills to put on the shelf with the other two.
Garlic has been harvested and is hanging to dry.
Beans, beans, and more beans need to be picked and processed.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:02 am

I’ve had problems with bacterial wilt on my cucs too. Can’t remember having such a problem and those damn cucumberBeatles are hard to catch!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:17 pm

Brebis wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:02 am
I’ve had problems with bacterial wilt on my cucs too. Can’t remember having such a problem and those damn cucumberBeatles are hard to catch!
@Brebis I have been wondering along those lines myself. I don't think i have beetles as there is virtually no physical damage on the foliage and there is adequate watering but the cucs are really fast to wilt and look poorly, although the cucumber yield has been wonderful. I think it will be a short season for the cucs again
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:24 pm

I used to love to grow Green Fingers cucumbers. They were wonderful and kept us, and the chickens swimming in cukes from just four plants. Sadly, the cucumber beetles found us, and for a couple of years, I wouldn't get many cukes before they swarmed in and devastated my crop. I tried growing them in a Reemay tunnel, but it was such a pain uncovering and re-covering it that I gave up.

I did a lot of research online, and read somewhere that Eureka F1 cukes are resistant to the beetles. I ordered some from William Dam Seeds, and am growing them this year. They are pretty good and the best thing is that (so far) the cuke beetles haven't found them!!!!!

I also grew a (very expensive for seeds) F1 "bush" cuke in a container on the deck, hoping that the cuke beetles wouldn't be able to find it. I spotted one on the plant and it (the plant) has since died :(.
Last edited by labradors on Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:34 pm

White cucumbers, market more, assorted tomatoes we have no idea what they are.....ground cherries (only my older cocker spaniel and I love) and cherry tomatoes red and yellow. We have water this year so we have a garden...lol
20210809_162949.jpg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:13 pm

Interesting week and a warning here too. Last Saturday I tore my hamstring slipping on mud in the turkey pen and turning to avoid landing on a baby (don't worry, baby is fine)! Yes @Ontario Chick we had lots of rain. I am now taped up by my physio friend with instructions to go gently, not do exercises etc yet because I apparently don't feel pain like normal people. SO I am gently pulling our raised bed small potatoes out and grubbing them with my hands when there is annoyed buzzing. OK just bees whatever. Oh no - we have made an ideal habitat for ground nesting bees who are miffed at someone wrecking their homes. Believe it or not one flew up my nose and stung before I could blow it out! Now that I could feel LOL but it's OK now. Not something I had thought much about. SO take care people. I did feel bad for the poor bees though.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:29 pm

Argh! Sorry to hear about the pulled hamstring AND the bee up your nose KB! How nasty! That must be a lot worse than having a bee in your bonnet {LOL}.

Nothing so exciting here (thank goodness), but a skunk must have come by and dug up a ground wasp nest. I hate those things, and they are beside our route to the coop....

Return to “Gardening”