Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: 2021 garden thread

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:00 pm

TomK wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:53 pm
omg!...i was thinking trees....damn!..thick as a brick.smh
@TomK They ARE trees and NO they don't have canker. These were the stock from Fergson Forest Centre that didn't. I will certainly see you get some nuts!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:52 pm

rutabaga are better (tastier) when they've been hit with a frost. And smaller are generally less woody. although i have never seen a small rutabaga from my garden. ever.

Well, been a whirlwind here. Got a call on friday last week that my surgery is moved up to this coming friday! yikes! which means covid test and 5 day isolation! so much for this week at work and my scheduled vacation....so managing to work from home on some paperwork i have to get done....but man o' man. trying to get required scripts and stuff. pharmacies are closed in hospitals on the weekends and i can only get these scripts at a hospital so friday afternoon running around like a mad woman to get blood done, scripts filled etc. groceries for the week since we need to isolate-and given that DH works from home we are just isolating together-no one in or out for anything. then book covid test. Get that on the weekend. surprise i'm negative....lol. i work in a level 2+ lab and still found the testing center was very intimidating! So now i'm here isolating for the week until friday. The visitor policy is pretty tight for surgery too. Now i'm trying to get all the stuff out of the garden that can be frozen/picked/stored....Realized when i put the garlic down that i completely didn't plant the glads this year. oops. oh well. maybe next year. The garden has gone totally insane with some things finishing months early, while others are late because of the rain and heat.....mom nature seems to be off her drugs or something LOL. The bugs have been epic....now it's mosquitos and deer flies. i like deet. LOL the ducks are eating bugs...but not fast enough!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Oh at least you'll get it done finally. Best of luck.
My brussels are coming already, not sure what is going on! Carrots are great and delicious. Think i'll pull some ruts and see how they are.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:42 pm

OK so I stopped at 1 rutabaga. It is huge. Nice and tender and mild too so DH will eat it. Not sure what I was thinking with the number I planted. Must check the food bank to see if they take fresh veggies.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:02 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:42 pm
OK so I stopped at 1 rutabaga. It is huge. Nice and tender and mild too so DH will eat it. Not sure what I was thinking with the number I planted. Must check the food bank to see if they take fresh veggies.

You could carve them for All Hallows’ Eve, my dear late Phil used to do it as a kid in Devon. I suspect carving pumpkins is easier though!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:16 am

We used to carve sugar beets.....go figure :)

had some ambitious plans for garden today, rip out beans, plant more Swiss chard and bring in some cukes for lunch.
It has been poring rain since early morning, just squeezed a doggy walk in before it started, it looks like it's not planning to stop anytime soon.

So so far for this summer. Hot and Dry....or Cold and Wet..........some moderation would be nice :)

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:54 pm

My favourite apple tree fell over last night, just severed at ground level and down she went. We planted it when we moved here 18 years ago. It was sold as a MacIntosh, but I think it tastes more like a Liberty. (We have a Liberty too, but it never has very many apples on it. Taste is very similar). It's been looking poorly for a few years, partly because it developed a very bad lean, and partly because hubby smashed the bark on it more than once with the mower :(. It was loaded with apples, and I'm so sorry to lose it :(. Couldn't it have waited a couple more months?????

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:33 pm

blame hubby. it held on as long as it could. RIP, apple tree.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:57 pm

Just dumped another 16 bags of 2 serving sizes of green and yellow pole beans into the freezer :-) love the harvest season (although things seem super early this year). Have tomatoes now! yay!

Sorry about the apple tree. we are having to take out 4 fruit trees this fall ourselves-our plums have black knot really badly this year, and the cherries ALWAYS get leaf spot and all the spraying of antifungals in the world does nothing. Last year i sprayed antifungals on those cherry trees every 2 weeks ALL season and they still lost more of their leaves. We got a grand total of 8 cherries off the trees in the 15 years we have had them because of all the late spring frosts. so. 2 plums and 2 cherries going this year. it sucks.

my zucchini plants all fell over, they were so huge. and now they are pretty much finished. The spaghetti squash will need to be cooked and frozen i think. another 5 watermelons coming. Cucumbers out the whazzooo. Many many beans coming up still. Next row of potatoes will be ready in a couple of weeks for harvest. eating sweet corn now too! it's really good and 3 weeks early. Neighbours are selling for 6$ a dozen! getting expensive. figure i have 10 or so dozen in the garden for 4.50.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:25 am

It's a bummer about the fruit trees @WLLady we have given up spraying any fruit trees long time ago, the result is pretty much the same with or without.

July garden after the first rain, gone crazy,
Garden in July.jpg
cedar hedges NOT trimmed by deer or me ;)
cedar hedges 2021.jpg

Return to “Gardening”