2021 garden thread

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: 2021 garden thread

Post by WLLady » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:10 am

ARGH! we got hail yesterday. Not impressed. all my squash have tons of holes in the leaves. it knocked over some of my corn that was just starting to tassle. and it flattened my potatoes. crazy winds in that storm, we got the tornado warning 10 minutes after the storm....and i was sure that storm would have a tornado. it chased me towards the basement....we had water sheeting off the roof, completely missing the eavestroughs, which were totally full and overwhelmed. everything flooded. we had water coming into the basement (unfinished thankfully) and the basement window wells were completely full with water. we dug some trenches to move the water away (got soaked in the process). It was just insane. The garden doesn't mind the water, but we could have done without the hail. we lost a pile of branches on the mulberry trees in the wind. just as the mulberries are ripening. Seems strangely in line with the year this year. We had another more tame storm this morning already, and lost the hydro. and it's rumbling out there again....go figure
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:18 am

I guess we avoided the worst of it and the rain seems to be coming in very short spurts, just enough to water the garden but not much more.
Turns out I planted bush beans rather the pole beens, not really fond of harvesting beens on all four, so may just leave them there ;)
Cukes are coming fast and furious, just in time since lettuce has bolted in the heat.
Radicchio my newest experiment, looked very decorative, finally tried some very nice in small doses....

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:25 pm

OC I love beans and I think that bush beans are well worth bending over to pick. Please don't let them go to waste.
I also grow pole beans and runner beans, but I'll throw in a row of bush beans once I remove the mustard greens that I never used. The flea beetles made them look very unappetizing :(.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:49 pm

I love bush beans too, but like OC, I have come to a point where knees and back are uncooperative and unforgiving, and not worth it to try to argue with them. I'm sure there will be some visitors who will appreciate them and put them to good use (if not friends or family, then I think wild turkeys and deer may benefit). ;-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:02 pm

Our beans are not ready yet. I still need to continue thinning the row of beets; I've been using the kneeling pad to get down on one or both knees. If I'm down on one knee, I can take a moment to twist my back (opposite elbow/arm over bent knee) for a stretch, or switch the knee I'm on. It works for a little while.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:28 am

@KimChick do you have one of those kneelers with the handles to get up? I always laughed at them until I blew my knee for the nth time. Now I always use it although the knee is fine now.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/outsunny-g ... lsrc=aw.ds
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:59 am

Exciting news! First I have a dull wretched life but we have butternuts hanging in the trees! No squirrels have shown up so Iguess that's not a good sign LOL.What do we do now?
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:01 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:59 am
Exciting news! First I have a dull wretched life but we have butternuts hanging in the trees! No squirrels have shown up so Iguess that's not a good sign LOL.What do we do now?
Here comes the bad news, they are pretty much impossible to get in to and over the years we have tried every implement we own, and there are still butternut shells to be found in the basement in some very surprising places, but in the end I am sorry to say the result didn't justify the effort :lol:

I am sure even now your DH the mad inventor is coming up with a gizmo, just tell him BTW if he tries to drive over them with a truck, they will lift the truck and remain unscathed ;)

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:46 pm

How about a concrete compression testing machine to crack the nuts? :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ferJ1OncnQ
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:57 am

@lolotsung I am NOT showing this to DH!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Gardening”