Forcing Narcissus bulbs

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Forcing Narcissus bulbs

Post by labradors » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:46 am

Looking great Ontario Chick I'm so happy for you! Just last week, I unearthed my pots of daffs from the cold frame where I had piled peat moss and leaves on top. I just wasn't sure that it would be warm enough for them out there....

OC if you really just want something easy to grow inside, why not get an African Violet? I was in Lowes in October, and noticed some little pots reduced to $2, so I bought one, never expecting it to flower over the winter, but it has! The secret to growing them is to put them in an east-facing window. (Mine is in the kitchen and I put it on the counter overnight where it's warmer). I water once or twice a week. Just put it in a saucer of water and empty the saucer after an hour or so.

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:58 am

Not fond of African violets :)
goal here was cost $0 happy with the results and cost so far ;)

A bit curious about the fact that they didn't seem to use any water after a month in 5-10 C cold storage?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:48 pm

I put my african violets in anorth windowand they never stopblooming except jan and feb. My only annoyance is theyre old enough that they need repotting. And i cant be bothered.

I hope some of those bloom for you!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:43 pm

WLLady, Interesting that your African Violets do so well in a north facing window :). You could always start a new one from a leaf cutting, and pitch the old plant - if you have a particularly beautiful one.....

Linda

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:43 am

i always found AFrican Violets got white fly. My other problem is I can't stand the smell of narcissi, to me it's like burning plastic!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:51 am

on a more positive note, I find it fascinating to observe how much life force is contained in that bulb, I have never tried this before, so complete magic to me to watch the dried up root come to life and the shoot appearing in complete dark, sort of little window in to what is happening under ground under snow right now :)
Narcisus.jpg

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:03 am

labradors wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:43 pm
WLLady, Interesting that your African Violets do so well in a north facing window :). You could always start a new one from a leaf cutting, and pitch the old plant - if you have a particularly beautiful one.....

Linda
this one plant is a restart from a leaf about 6 years ago, which was a restart from a leaf before that :-) it's pink flowered with purple spots on the pink....(it also hasn't died yet). LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:36 am

That sounds very unusual - and hardy too :).

As expected, my $2 plant was plain purple with no frills, but at least the flowers aren't too small. I love it for blooming on the chilly windowsill :).

Linda

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:23 pm

My grandmother always had bunch of African violets in the north windows of her house. They did well for her. I have had them several times - sometimes they do well and sometimes they don't. I have been overwintering a few of my marginal pong plants in the house. Two of them are Marsh Marigold plants. I hung one in the south window and it is doing really well. You can't overwater them. They wilt if they get too dry. It has bloomed once and I have trimmed it twice.

IMG_4428 marsh marigold.JPG
I grew Paper Whites in the house once. I thought they smelled like dirty socks, so I haven't done it since.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:24 pm

:-)
the dirty socks smell is probably bacteria growth , I have seen forced paper whites grown in a beautiful container, very decorative, admittedly I didn't try to smell them, tend to stay away from any fragrant plants, so unless it's offensive I guess I wouldn't know, that said, love cut lilac, but only on the porch, find it completely overwhelming inside as does DH

Return to “Gardening”