Seed starting

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Re: Seed starting

Post by Shnookie » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:04 pm

No, the iris didn't make it. I found out from my friend that it was likely too wet. Bearded iris need to have only a bit of water, otherwise they rot. The peony seed that had sprouted had no root left when I checked it last. I had planted it in straight peat moss. Peonies don't like acidic soil. I got some new iris seeds from the British Iris Society through a friend. Most of them are siberian irises. One group are tall bearded irises. They are chilling in the fridge. I got some tips on growing them from my friend so I'm hoping for better results. I have several kinds of wildflower seeds chilling in the fridge so I can plant them in spring. The fridge has 2/3 food and 1/3 plants in it. :) We haven't been having much sun here this winter. Last year was cloudy a lot too.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:46 pm

The Siberian irises will grow anywhere, I have some in the wetland, don't mind that at all, what a difference from the bearded irises, years ago I was cleaning out a beaded iris bed as they were choking themselves out and threw the remnants in the raspberry plot.
The raspberries are long gone, the original Iris bed long gone, but the "remnants" have formed a very happy clump that bloom every year without fail.
Not going to "fix" that one :)

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:49 am

I started some seeds yesterday. I simply couldn't wait any longer, even though I have some mini tomatoes, lettuce and arugula growing under lights.

Sweet peppers always take so long to get going that I started all of them, along with some container tomato varieties that will live in large pots on the deck. With any luck, I will have some ripe tomatoes by mid-June.

Linda

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:56 am

The lily seed that i started is doing amazing, as is the asparagus! yay! we found 3 plane tree fruits on our travels through the ravine this weekend and brought them home. i opened them up and got about 350 seeds....i decided to plant about 200 since the fertility apparently can be really bad.....we'll see if any sprout....lol. i don't have much luck with trees. we want to put some more trees around the non-farm part of the property, so big shade trees would be nice. i love plane trees, and had no idea we had 2 along the river on our land! very excited about it. i wouldn't mind 2-3 up in the north paddock once we decide to take it out of paddock. likely in a year or two (depends on how long the horse lives-she's already 25 with a life expectancy of 20-25).
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:17 am

I LOVE plane trees! Good luck with your efforts to grow them from seed.

Lindens are lovely too, and I have several on the property, some of which were young seedlings that I dug up. The blossoms are frequented by bees, and make a lovely herbal tea.

Linda

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:58 pm

I looked the linden up... I know them as basswood. :-) i will have to look for small ones and small saplings for the plane trees in the spring :-). They havent sprouted yet lol.
My lilies are still single leaf straps... But about 4 inches long now. The asparagus is all frondy now and ready to go into a garden in the spring.

And.... I just got all my vegetable and flower seeds in the mail today!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Gardening”