Share your blueberry or raspberry cuttings?

mucm
Newly Hatched Chick

Share your blueberry or raspberry cuttings?

Post by mucm » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:00 am

I'm looking for anyone willing to share some berry bush cuttings, now that they should be dormant this fall, especially highbush blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum), or raspberry (european raspberry Rubus idaeus, or america raspberry Rubus strigosus). Or any other interesting edible berries... elderberry, blackberry, gooseberry, currant. Preferably lots of them as I'm a newbie at rooting the cuttings - I did "okay" (20% : - ( with apple cuttings last year. I'm in Toronto but willing to drive.

Cheers and merry christmas y'all.
-- Martin and Monica

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Share your blueberry or raspberry cuttings?

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:08 am

Much less work to ask for Raspberry offshoots in the spring, then you get a rooted stem already to plant.
Anybody with a raspberry patch will have them May/ June, the same for Black raspberries and I noticed our red currants seem to be popping up here and there, presumable planted by birds or chipmunks.

mucm
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by mucm » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:47 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:08 am
...Raspberry offshoots...
Are these underground root runners that then branch out above ground? or above ground runners that happen to be touching the ground and sprout roots? I think the internet just answered my question, it is the latter.

Okay thanks for the tip @Ontario Chick I will try that too but I'll still see if this tougher way can get me anywhere (or any blueberries).
-- Martin and Monica

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:57 pm

Most berry plants will do both. Blackberries and currants are really good at rooting an above ground runner that touches the ground. I have increased my red currant patch every year by laying a branch or two on the ground, dig in about 6 in, with the tip above ground and put a rock on where I dug. water that rock once a week. Blackberries the same.

Raspberries, as in previous comment, do well sending out underground rhizomes and sending up new shoots. Blackberries too, but not as much as raspberries in my experience. These are way easier to plant than cuttings, already rooted and ready to grow when transplanted.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Gardening”