About New Plants Planted Last Spring

KimChick
Head Chicken

About New Plants Planted Last Spring

Post by KimChick » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:59 pm

Last Spring, I planted an Asiatic Patio Lily "Buzzer". This year it was going to bloom; it had 2 or three buds. Today, I saw that the buds were chewed off. All the day lilies are intact. I'm going to blame a chipmunk because I don't think my garden toad did it.

On a good note, the Clary Sage that I planted last Spring is blooming and huge. It also has a nice scent. The Russian Sage that I moved and thought was dead has come back to life.
The Red Hot Poker does not seem to be doing very well, though.
The Monardas are doing OK but not thriving; I have 3 different ones.
None of my Spring flowering shrubs bloomed this year, probably because I pruned them too much, or at the wrong time. I can live with that.
How are others' flower gardens doing in this heat?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: About New Plants Planted Last Spring

Post by WLLady » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:04 am

my daylilies are a month early. the asiatic lilies are lasting 1 day. the irises were nice until the heat hit and then the blooms were gone within 24 hours. the california poppies are loving this but they are a desert bloom lol. the catnip-insane!!! and my russian sage has gone nuts. but even the clover in my paddock is dead after a day...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:47 am

Everything is doing surprisingly well, the Gold leaf spirea is blooming like mad covered with bumblebees every morning.
Daylilies just started to bloom, spiderworts has been going nonstop and hosts are blooming on a very short stalks.
The only plant I actually water is Cimicifuga (racemosa) because it lies down when it's parched and I can't stand watching that ;)

So far deer ate the Lillies @Killerbunny gave me, and 3 raspberry canes gifted to me by another friend.
Last night I forgot to cover the peas and although I thought they were way too tough, the deer didn't seem to mind. :)

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:28 am

We wanted to get some netting for our berry bushes, but there was none to be found.
I think a plant that I relocated is actually a weed. And I thought I was moving a gaillardia. I have to figure out what it is.
The little Magic Carpet spireas are blooming, but the white spreas aren't. They are too small to be Bridal Wreath spirea; I have one of those. All the spireas came with the house. And so did a couple of potentillas.
The Cimicifuga (black cohosh with the dark leaves) is still only about 6 inches high.
I picked some lavender flowers for the laying boxes, and some I will dry.
It is definitely a different unpredictable growing season.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:25 pm

Gaillardia is always very late. I used to think that mine were dead so I'd go to plant something new in the spot and discover they were still there, lurking. Mine has only just bloomed.

The daylilies seemed late this year. Dumorterieri was nice and early, but Stella took her sweet time, and Happy Returns is always a bit later. The peonies and irises were out earlier but were gone in a flash. The False Indigo barely earned its keep, as the flowers didn't last long on that either. Nepeta is looking good now and the Salvia put on a good show and needs to be dead headed for a second bloom. Orange Butterfly weed is looking good, but no sigh of any Monarchs or their caterpillars.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:39 pm

My Baptisia was hit by a leaf cutter bee/wasp but has survived quite well; the plant is in its second or third year here.

Return to “Gardening”