Garden Diaries, 2020

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Garden Diaries, 2020

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:26 pm

Swiss chard and kale - on my list of no way! Plus they have anti thyroid activity when people eat them raw too often. Lightly steamed fixes that problem though!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:18 am

Well, I am going to apologize to all the Swiss chard I have ever dissed.
Since I have never actually cooked it before, looked for the bitter taste everybody talked about, but didn't find any, and used in spinach puffs instead of spinach, absolutely delicious.
This of course means that now I have to freeze some, because not having to buy spinach in winter would be great.
Swiss Chard puffs.jpg

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:43 am

OK will have to try that next year then because I love spinach.
Mutt chickens for eggs

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:13 am

It's a great substitute for spinach (cooked, that is). When I remember, I add it to stews too.

Another way to save it (and some eggs) is to make quiche.... I made my first extra quiche for the freezer quite recently. I hope it turns out well.

Linda

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:57 pm

Picked a salad out of the garden today. Mustard greens, mint, radishes, grated carrot, onions young pea vines, beet greens from the heart. Was pretty darn good, specially for 10th November. Brought in the last of the beets and we ate them.

Planted my garlic that I should have planted six weeks ago. Also planted some onion sets I had left over from the spring. Never done that before, but if it works for garlic, why not onions? Find out in the spring anyway.

Supposed to rain tonight so I dug the parsnips. Fair crop, but wondering if the hot dry summer caused big tops, 3 in across, but taper inwards sharply after 3 or 4 inches, long thin root as parsnips always have.

Still have raspberries to pick about every third day. I like this variety, produces til after hard frost.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:47 am

Difference between EO and @Farrier1987 country, my garden put to bed for the winter, last harvested thing an accidental red beet, apparently the dark red thing in the mesclun mix was a red beet, who knew ?
Garden Nov 11, 2020.jpg

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:57 pm

My parsley is ready to be cut again. after cutting it down "for the winter" LOL. These temps here and everything is starting to grow again. DH looked at the lawn today and said "i need to cut that again!" I just hope things stay in the ground, like the lily bulbs we just put in and the irises. If they sprout now....
I have lettuce and broccoli and cauliflower all left to flower for the bees. Glad I did, the bees are still flying and there's not much else out there for them! Those will just have to freeze out there, i'm not going to get to do the clean out i wanted to this year. We'll just dig it all under in the spring (i'll have to stake the garlic patch so DH doesn't rototill it in the spring!).
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:04 pm

We have lettuce coming again!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Gardening”