Garden Diaries, 2020

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Garden Diaries, 2020

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:50 am

Yes I have. They germinate fast and if lucky you get a smaller crop. I planted a second lot of Sugar Ann a week ago and they are up.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:44 am

Ontario Chick, I haven't grown Esterina F1, but Sungold F1 is amazing, as usual.

Farrier, thanks for the info on the parsnips. I'll have to grow some next year. For some reason I thought they had to be started really early or over-wintered.

Peas now? I can do that! I hope the rabbits don't devour them though. We have two "cute" little bunnies living on the property - sigh!

Linda
Last edited by labradors on Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:32 am

Farrier1987 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:04 am
labradors wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:57 pm
Farrier1987 When did you start your parsnips? I'm thinking of growing them next year.

Linda
Started them early to mid May. Look back on this thread, TomK gave some great advice, I have never been able to grow them before, didnt germinate.

Blackberries going ctazy here, making jam every second day, about 6 pints each batch. My cabbages all split.

Has anyone ever planted peas this time of year? Thinking about it as I have heard you can get a second crop.
DH will be picking the cabbages before they split, unless they have already. We have green and red cabbage. DH is the cabbage guy - he makes coleslaw and sauerkraut. We'll probably have to put some cabbage in the freezer this year.
He's thinking of planting more peas. He has already replanted radishes and some lettuce. The other lettuce just got cut down and is now regrowing.
He planted the different coloured carrots; they are growing well, as are the beets. Zucchini are very prolific, especially when picked small; they had to be dusted for those grey bugs that devour the leaves, and DH bought nematodes for the roots. We only lost a couple of plants.
I have to make some pesto from the multitude of basil plants.
Bush beans are almost done.
I will be harvesting some horseradish this year, too.
This year, we started our vegetable farm gate sales - bit of a slow start; whatever doesn't sell goes into the freezer or on the dinner table. I still have a few large zucchini to chop up and freeze. But, boy, I found a really yummy chocolate zucchini loaf recipe that uses 4 C zucchini for 2 loaves; I will be making those again.
Was just reading the Good Morning thread, which reminded me that our cucumbers have that blight, too. Hundreds of blossoms have dropped and leaves are dying. I think we have only gotten a 4 qt basket of cukes so far.
We need some honey bees!

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:05 pm

Kim Chick reminded me that my beets did well this year, except that I grew Chioggia which looks beautiful with it's read and white design - until it is cooked when it looks like a boring over-cooked potato!!!! I fixed it though. We had eaten a jar of store-bought beets and I saved the juice and added the cooked Chioggia slices to it and they turned red ;).

I started some more beets over a week ago and have to pluck up the courage to plant them somewhere safe. Bunny really enjoys the leaves :(.

I planted some more bush beans too and they germinated really fast :).

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:23 pm

My corn is smutty! It's gross and we've never had it before. Anyone else and how do you stop it ?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:47 pm

I have never grown it myself - not enough room for corn. However, I did buy some from our farmer's market last Saturday and three out of six were for the chickens or for the compost. Don't know if that is of interest or not. Just my experience.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:32 am

We had a lot of HAIL yesterday! Haven't had that in years. Everything seemed ok, although some of the veggies may show some damage after after getting pounded. Fortunately, I had picked all the blushing tomato a couple of days ago before it rained hard. The worst thing affected was the chard which was smashed. It's now been cleaned up and added to the compost.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:26 am

I made ratatouille for supper last night and it was delicious. Everything came from the garden, except the onion, and everything had been through the hail storm, but wasn't showing damage except for the chard. (I salvaged the biggest and best-looking of the tattered leaves).

The recipe consisted of: Tomatoes, carrots, eggplant, zucchini, chard, onion and garlic. I just threw it into the pan, using a little oil to fry the garlic and onions, then I added everything else, including a little water, and some celery seed. I served it in bowls with some grated mozarella on top, and broiled it until melted. It was SO tasty :).

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:56 pm

We love ratatouille. I may still have a couple of jars downstairs. We will probably can more this year, too.
Chard is not may favourite and we have lots. The flavour is fine; I just prefer the texture of kale more.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:14 pm

corn smut...yep have it this year too. means the corn got stressed at some point. if i catch it early i break it off and burn it...the rest of the cob seems to be okay. if its more than just the end i will burn the entire cob.there is no treatment. buy smut resistant seed.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Gardening”