Garden Diaries, 2020

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Garden Diaries, 2020

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:11 pm

My garlic from fall planting has been better than I've ever seen it. May be due in part to the new raised bed!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:19 am

First picking of strawberries yesterday. So good!

I think I got a catch on some parsnips, thanks for your advice TomK. Sweet potatoes starting to vine. Squash getting real leaves and starting to send out tendrils. Green beans did not germinate for whatever reason. Going to replant.

Had some help on Saturday and cleaned the wither shelter for the animals. New manure pile out in the garden now, will let it work and fester this summer and spread it in the fall or next spring.

Got some 4x4's yesterday, going to build a new raised bed, they are so much less work than the rows in the ground. More stuff in less area to weed and water. When I got home with them, one goat was not in evidence, looked the likely places and not there. Then I saw something white in the garden. She hadnt been in there long, just a few beet tops gone and one or two corn plants sort of shortened. Dam goats, And I have new fences, I think she pushed her way underneath, I will stake the bottom of the chain link down today.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:28 am

Ha! Ha! Yup goats love gardens!!!

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Post by Blizblaz » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:26 pm

Frost got all my plants. I guess I wasn’t paying enough attention to the weather-thought I was safe! At least I was lazy, and didn’t get everything out yet, so I have a few more tomato plants I can put out.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:23 pm

Oh darn it!
Well big thanks to @Farrier1987 . We each ate 1 ripe strawberry tonight! Looks like plenty more to come. We had quite forgotten what "real" strawberrires tasted like.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:55 pm

Blizblaz wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:26 pm
Frost got all my plants. I guess I wasn’t paying enough attention to the weather-thought I was safe! At least I was lazy, and didn’t get everything out yet, so I have a few more tomato plants I can put out.
Frost in June ?! Wow, that sucks! Lucky you have some plants in reserve, but still ... all that effort and care for nothing. I know the feeling.

We had a squirrel/chipmunk garden raid happen about two weeks ago. All of my seedlings were out, no spares. They chewed ALL the leaves off ALL of my brassica plants. I have garden fencing all around my beds, except for along the trellises, which is probably where they gained entry because they have big enough gaps for them to squeeze through. The morning after the decimation happened, when I came out and saw the carnage, I had seriously considered just not having a garden this year, especially since there are no started plants to be found anywhere for purchase in these parts. After giving it a bit more thought, I decided that I could still start salad greens from seed, and so just have a couple of raised beds with lettuces, peas, beans, cucumber (damaged but not destroyed), herbs, and Swiss chard. I may plant a fall garden of brassicas in August if I decide to get some more seeds started. We'll see.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:32 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:23 pm
Oh darn it!
Well big thanks to @Farrier1987 . We each ate 1 ripe strawberry tonight! Looks like plenty more to come. We had quite forgotten what "real" strawberrires tasted like.
I am quite pleased with them. The variety is Mara de bois. And they smell like strawberries too. The aroma when you bring in a bunch after picking is heavenly! I got them from Whiffletree Nursery. They tend to have varieties of different things that are not so much commercial. These strawbs dont travel well and only last a few days after picking. But I dont need to ship them more than three four hundred feet.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:24 pm

Potatoes blooming, should have new potatoes by first of July for sure, can hardly wait! I missed Fathers day which is my target, but I will take them when they come I guess.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:23 am

Strawberry pie for breakfast.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Many salad bowls eaten, afraid the whole shebang will bolt after this heat.
Garlic tops seem to be burning with the high UV, will have to brake down and water them too, cucumbers going in to the garden on the weekend, but will have to be shaded, the same UV problem.
Peas blooming so here is hoping :)

Return to “Gardening”