Garden Diaries, 2020

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Garden Diaries, 2020

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:03 pm

Four different kinds of beans planted today, all for fresh eating or freezing. Also some okra plants emerging. Planted parsnips as per JimW's instructions, will see how they turn out.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu May 21, 2020 12:36 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:00 pm
I have to congratulate @Ontario Chick on her amazing chicken resistant hostas. The big one she sent round last year is growing well despite chickens best efforts to dig it out and eat the shoots! SHe could make a fortune!
:lol:
I am now working on deer resistant hostas, another 50-75 years and I should have it figured out. ;)
Mesclun sprouted and lettuce is up, somebody has been trying to dig up Swiss chard and somebody is eating the top of garlic shoots.
Potato shoots are up, only because they were several inches long before I planted them.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:47 am

Strawberries blooming furiously. Can have salads now with all sorts of stuff. No dill yet, but coming along. I really like the Red Russian Kale too. Lots of potatoes up, beets doing well and a few shoots of corn. Several squash coming up and spreading their wings. A few sweet potatoes prospering well. The onions are doing famously. And I cut down on area planted this year and the weeding is a lot easier to keep up with. Going to build a couple more raised beds this year, more productive and less work, can be watered by hand not the sprinkler, easier to weed, sitting on the edge, rows only about 6" apart, so more stuff in less area. I am just really liking them. I bring the goat in and pt her on a chain for parts of the garden I havent planted, eating weeds and winter wheat.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 26, 2020 7:22 am

Hey @Farrier1987 your strawberries are just beginning to bloom here and our new bed of asparagus has lots of shoots. Now people I want to know how to care for my asparagus and strawberries. I have straw mulch down on both and soaker hoses (last 2 in store).
We put in more raised beds and my aim was to cut down on the other beds (you've seen these @Ontario Chick and know how much there is). Apparently we now have to plant every freakin' square inch of everything! I have the raspeberries and rhubarb in some of the area and I've persuaded DH into field peas for ground cover/ nitrogen/ chicken feed so I'm now suggesting sunflowers to store the heads.
Yikes.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:40 am

Hilled potatoes yesterday. Good catch on the carrots this year. My New Zealand blue squash is well started. (Jaye and KB did the WeirdWalkingWoof ever get you the seeds I mailed her?? I did not get my tomato or mangle seeds from her. She seems to be AWOL again.)

Eating lots of salad. Today will be the first beet green feed of the year. I never started sweet potatoes myself before, just took handouts form neighbors, seem to be doing will, starting to vine.

Sort of a poor catch on my sweet corn and green beans, might replant, not sure. Looks like I might have a catch on the parsnips, thanks for the tips Jimw. Peas coming good, should start to bloom pretty soon.

Anyway, hours and hours of time spent in the garden, and I like it. How is everyone else's doing? I am really liking my raised beds, going to build at least one more this year. So much easier to weed and water, and denser spacing of plants, I like it a lot.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:09 am

We had to replant our sweetcorn too and the Yukon Gold are slow. Lots of spinach and lettuce to eat now.
Walked out yesterday to the zucchini that were doing so well and - CUCUMBER BEETLE!!!!!! Haven't had this for 5 years. These are away from the melons etc. so fingers crossed.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:33 am

About a dozen ripe strawberries yesterday. So good! Jam etc soon.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:09 am
We had to replant our sweetcorn too and the Yukon Gold are slow. Lots of spinach and lettuce to eat now.
Walked out yesterday to the zucchini that were doing so well and - CUCUMBER BEETLE!!!!!! Haven't had this for 5 years. These are away from the melons etc. so fingers crossed.
Gill..you got the potato seed at Forfar right?...as did I...and they are REAL slow but coming along finally....the red Pontiac are twice the plant and my Purple Russians are ahead of the Yukon Gold and all three were set the same day.....oh well.. :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:12 pm

Yes @TomK we though we had done something wrong the Yukon Gold are very slow but the Russetts we got in Perth are going great!!
Mutt chickens for eggs

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:33 am

Anyone else having problems with garlic not coming up from a Fall planting?
And darn it all, a deer ate some of my begonias.

Return to “Gardening”