Garden Diaries, 2020

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Garden Diaries, 2020

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:41 am

Well most stuff done. Busy manufacturing a couple more raised beds. Moved my strawberries into a raissed bed, thinking they will be easier to weed and protect from birds etc there. I usually have the garden worked up by now and winter wheat planted, but not this year. Last years manure pile being spread generally and layered onto the raised beds for the winter.

Peas I planted in late August are blooming a little, hope I get a few. Second crop of radishes started then are really nice and mild.

Beets, carrots and parsnip still in the ground. Later I leave them the less they have chance to go soft in storage. Parsnips I will leave til after serious frost, makes them sweeter they say. I did get a crop this year thanks to the advice from TomK. I am going to try leaving a few carrots and parsnips and maybe beets to see if they will maybe make some seed, I have never done that. Has anyone else here done that? Any tricks or advice?
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:18 am

A lot of crops are biennial so they would naturally go to seed the second year - if they survive our brutal winter. However, I've learned that planting early in spring, before a frost, can cause things like chard, beets and parsley to go to seed the first year. This is good and bad because if they put all their effort into going to seed, you don't get much of a harvest - but you do get lots of seeds :).

Linda

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:28 pm

well i am still waiting on seeds from my in flowering brocolli so dont ask me....lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:10 am

Lots of brussels this year! Turkeys help out when I'm harvesting cleaning up the stalks, they love the greens that are left.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 am

Our beets were done a week ago or so ago when the temperature went down. We have dug up all the carrots - they keep very well unwashed, in plastic bags, in the fridge. Plus we have sold quite a bit.
All the squash has be picked, as well as the onions. Garlic has been planted.
DH has tilled half the garden.
Not sure if I'll be digging up anymore horseradish; we'll see.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:09 pm

Seriously considering freezing some Swiss chard, anybody tried pickling the stalks ?
Don't actually want the job, but pretty sure sometime in January I will wish I have tried it ;)

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:26 pm

OC, I freeze Swiss Chard to add to doggy dinners throughout the winter. I just toss it (flattened) in grocery store bags and tie them shut. No blanching or anything. I tell you it looks good enough to eat, yet I go and buy frozen spinach for us. One of these days I'm going to try it. I'm sure it would be fantastic in quiche! One advantage is that when it is frozen it can be shattered into tiny pieces :).

Linda

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:15 pm

OC - If I freeze it, first I cut and rinse, blanch it for 2 min., then make them into patties by squeezing out the water; lay them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. When frozen, I put them into bags.
I have also canned it with a pressure canner.
A friend will be giving me an Italian recipe that uses Swiss Chard; I'm sure I have seen it used on Lydia's Italy, too.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:24 pm

I prefer to throw it directly into the compost LOL! I hate that stuff.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:57 pm

Too funny KB, but I love it and IT'S GOOD FOR YOU {LOL}.

I find the green varieties taste better than the pretty red ones. The orange ones are quite disgusting!

Linda

Return to “Gardening”