Nut/fruit tree planting

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Nut/fruit tree planting

Post by Blizblaz » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:22 am

I’m looking to grow a few nut and fruit trees/bushes, and I can’t find an answer on the best time to plant them. What’s everyone’s opinion, spring or fall? Or does it really matter? Would there be a preference based on how old the plants are?
I’m looking at some Korean pine, hazelnut of some sort, haskaps, some hardy cherry bushes, etc. I want to give them the best start, so I am open for any advice!
I live in a 3b zone, so I’m getting the hardiest varieties I can.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Nut/fruit tree planting

Post by Jaye » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:41 am

For Haskaps, if it's a started plant, I think that early fall is the best time to plant. It allows more time for root development which will help it to survive the summer heat. I'm in zone 5b, though, so it may be different for 3b.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:47 am

Although the prevailing wisdom seems to be towards either Spring or Fall being equal,
my personal experience after 50 years of gardening and tree planting, that spring is the best time.
It gives you an opportunity to water and observe the plant for 3 seasons, and step in if things are not going well.

Planting in the fall means you are asking the shrub/tree to stay dormant thru the drying winds of winter in the ground where it didn't have a chance to develop a good root yet, and come out in the spring in good shape.
I am in the 4b zone
Happy planting :)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:36 pm

we did spring here for a pile of trees last year, and then babied them all summer. buckets with small holes filled with water every 2 days to keep them watered. Looks like most have made it through in good condition. I've planted in the fall, and always lose some that just don't seem able to break dormancy - likely because of root damage. So we have moved to spring planting everything except the tulips and daffodils and bulbs like that. LOL i'm zone 5b-6 here....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:38 am

Fall planting pushes root growth first, many say its better, but I have no experience. zone 3b - feel free to plant trees for zone 4, and create your own shelterbelts with windbreaks and walls. check Society of Ontario nut growers - http://www.songonline.ca/nut_growing.htm
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:55 am

I suggest checking older threads here for info. Here's a few - Fruit trees Fruit tree nursery question Killerbunny @ Nut growers and woodlot events
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Post by Blizblaz » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:15 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:55 am
I suggest checking older threads here for info. Here's a few - Fruit trees Fruit tree nursery question Killerbunny @ Nut growers and woodlot events
Thanks! I try to search, but I don’t seem to be very good at finding stuff...

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:47 pm

We planted our hazelnuts trees (30 of them ) in the spring last year and they have all survived, save the one that a trespassing snowmobiler ran over about a month a go. We have ordered. Another 20 to plant this spring.

Return to “Gardening”