Using bedding/waste as fertilizer

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Re: Using bedding/waste as fertilizer

Post by Blizblaz » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:02 pm

You get lots of weeds if you use old hay as mulch? I will have a lot of that-the horse love to toss it all around to find the good bits, I guess! Maybe I will just use the old hay and straw out on the trails and stuff instead of the garden.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:55 am

I guess my hay wasn't as rotted as i thought. i had some big rounds out for 3 years.....and just unrolled it and voila! grass everywhere! ha ha. Maybe the small squares would "rot" better....i had some small straw bales i tried, left them out 2 years and they grew new oats....right out of the bales! The best results i had with straw was a big round that was just baled in the fall and then stored inside and then unrolled thick in the garden. that actually worked the best-it only grew oats around the edges (aka where all the plants were punched through). What i have resorted to now is just leaving it dirt between the rows and using a shuffle hoe every week. that seems to be working better if i can get the weeds when they're small. Cedar mulch is great, but it's expensive and only lasts about 3 months in my gardens (my sand will soak in anything organic really fast).

aren't horses little jerks? mine do that too. every year our bale holder gets buried in a foot or two of the "nasty bits" that the horses don't want. they dig through to find the clover and alfalfa and will only clean it up if we leave the bale low for a day. but man the "you are starving us" attitude is incredible! there's no alfalfa left so therefore there is NOTHING to eat!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:18 am

We had someone grow garlic here and they mulched with straw. It's been hell ever since. We now don't worry and put the turkey hay out in Autumn to mature over the winter where we want the fertiliser. Just rake off in spring.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Post by Blizblaz » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:40 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:18 am
We had someone grow garlic here and they mulched with straw. It's been hell ever since. We now don't worry and put the turkey hay out in Autumn to mature over the winter where we want the fertiliser. Just rake off in spring.
Hmmm I was planning on making some raised beds for garlic in the fall, but I guess I’ll have to plan something better for mulch.

WLLady wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:55 am
aren't horses little jerks? mine do that too. every year our bale holder gets buried in a foot or two of the "nasty bits" that the horses don't want. they dig through to find the clover and alfalfa and will only clean it up if we leave the bale low for a day. but man the "you are starving us" attitude is incredible! there's no alfalfa left so therefore there is NOTHING to eat!
Yes, they can be! I feed square bales and sometimes I give them one that looks lovely to me, and they give it the stink eye and refuse to eat it. I let them think it over for a day, and they act like they’ve never seen food before when I go the next day with more. While they’re standing in the other bale.

Return to “Gardening”