Suntech Nurseries Pink Glow

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:43 am

The thing that always gets me is that this lighting costs money..big time..and to lose so much light to the sky above makes no sense...same thing with street lighting...is it just too much effort? :sAng_banghead:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:25 am

Ottawa's SunTech Greenhouse shuts off million-dollar lighting system this winter over hydro costs
Joanne Schnurr , CTV Ottawa
Published Tuesday, March 7, 2017 5:34PM EST
Last Updated Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:37PM EST

"An Ottawa greenhouse operation has hit a hydro snag in its attempt to mimic Mother Nature. SunTech Greenhouses in Manotick had installed a million dollar L-E-D lighting system to grow produce year round but after doing the math, the owner decided not to flip the switch."

"Mitchell figures in the winter, it costs him, with the lights, about $1.15 to grow a tomato. That compares to about $0.38 for that Mexican tomato."

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ottawa- ... -1.3314940
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:04 am

Me thinks in the excitement over the amazing technology somebody forgot to do the math ?

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:12 am

I agree OC. Its a huge bummer, I was hoping this would work out well for the farmer, and assumed he had done the math. But I'm sure he did at one point and forgot about the ever rising hydro rates and other money grabs... (apparently hydro rates are decreasing)

he needs a more profitable plant growing in there, an all natural wonder plant with infinite uses... that'll keep the lights on!

:2cents:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:19 am

He also needs a better accountant.
These are tomatoes grown in a chemical solution without benefit of soil and sunlight, not counting the light pollution it creates for the entire area.
I personally wouldn't pay premium price for them and at $ 3.99 lb they are not on my shopping list.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:36 am

If you watch the video on ctv, there's another greenhouse operater who set up in Ohio due to hydro cost. There he buys hydro at the price Ontario PAYS Ohio to take it. I've had it. I am getting involved in politics, gonna check out the Ontario PC's.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Return to “Gardening”