Vesey"s

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Vesey"s

Post by Shnookie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 am

I got the Spring 2020 Bulb catalogue from Vesey's the other day. It has some nice plants in it. It comes with three discount offers based on the total of your order. They expire January 8th.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Vesey"s

Post by KimChick » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:37 pm

I received my order of daffodils from Botanus the other day, and better get those planted soon. Plus I got a couple of freebies with my order - tulips and snow crocuses. It's bulb planing time!!
Now that I moved a Bridal Wreath Spirea out of the flower garden, some of my plants will not get as shaded and encroached upon. Now my Russian Sage is in its place - a more airy, less condensed growth habit.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:09 pm

I'm not keen on Vesey's. They were great years ago for daffodils, but I didn't appreciate the strawberry plants that were DOA, and they can stick their stupid discounts (with tax added to the original amount AND shipping - grrrr!)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:19 pm

I had no luck with them either. I placed an order and they told me that they were out of what I wanted and only wanted to substitute or give me a credit on a future order. I ended up spending ages trying to get money back.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:18 am

We've ordered from them a couple of times. Our bulbs lasted one year, then all died. I live with a Master Gardner, pretty sure they were stored correctly. 🤣
I found them very cheap on seeds. 8 seeds for 9.00 is not my idea of 'seeds. We are looking elsewhere for next year. With all that said, they are very nice and helpful.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:04 am

I always order from veseys.....everywhere else the germination just sucks. never had an issue with veseys seed sprouting. i tried several other places.....next best is dam's in flamborough, i've started ordering a few from them as well, and can't beat their pasture grass mix!
my daffodils from veseys do respectably....the tulips are crazy and have multiplied everywhere! the irises are still blooming this year, and have for at least 8 since i put them in. same with the day lilies. maybe my dirt resembles PEI?

and the discounts....the dates always seem to be extended.....don't be fooled lol. but vesey's shipping is super expensive, and getting anything like potatoes from there is just too expensive now because of the overweight charges. i'd love to find a reliable source closer to home, but i demand at least 90 percent germination rate if i'm spending the money.
oh, stokes also is respectable....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:14 am

I have ordered from William Dam seeds. I was happy with what I got from them.

I haven't ordered from Vesey's for years. The last few times I ordered from them before I stopped almost all the perennials and bulbs I ordered either grew a bit and died, or didn't grow at all. I do still have a couple peonies that came from them.

I got bulbs and perennials from their fall catalogue - lilies, daffodils, daylilies, Siberian irises, and hardy gladiolus. They arrived a couple days earlier than expected. Shipping was free on my first order because I signed up to get e-mails from them. Shipping would have been $13.95 Expedited Post. All the plants and bulbs look good. The only thing that could be better, at this point, is if they were shipped earlier. This year we have early snow and really cold weather. The ground is wet and could be partly frozen (I haven't checked yet) so I might have trouble planting them.

Return to “Gardening”