Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

My tomato rating

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:03 am

I grow nothing exotic, but this year beside may favorite Sweet 100
there were couple of standouts.
"Lemon Boy" great healthy plant and very nice tomatoes
tomatos 2019 Oct 2nd.jpg
"Yellow Cherry" bit larger then the regular red cherry tomato, very nice taste.
And the absolutely worst, "Pink Girl" tomatoes went from green to mushy, so by the time they were actually pink, they went to the chickens and I yanked the whole thing couple of weeks ago.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: My tomato rating

Post by Jaye » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:02 am

I've had the same result with pink girl in previous years. I won't grow that variety again. Love the sweet 100's, and I tried a new variety this year (name escapes me at the moment but will check the plant label when I get home and update) that grew well for me. It is very flavourful and is more meaty than some of the other slicer varieties I have had, which I like.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:21 am

Legend which is blight resistant sucks. I've tried it for 3 years now and won't bother again, mushy texture,better than store toms but not my best.
Costoluto Genovese rocked it again and I'm still picking, ugly but great flavour.
Abu Rawan smaller but intense flavour and great yield, I'm still picking.
Ernies Plump (thanks @TomK great yields and so has Amish paste which I was ready to give up on. Still picking both.
Chadwick cherry, reliable and still going.
Cherokee purple, not doing well, I got 1 which had great flavour but I won't do it next year.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:51 am

I had a great tomato year, although most seemed to take forever to ripen and everything had thick skin :(.

I grew Costoluto Genovese the other year, and most of the 'maters were hit with rot which seemed even worse than just ordinary BER which goes away after the first few infections :(. Fortunately, it was so productive that I still had tons to process for (very tasty) sauce :).

Indian Stripe Potato Leaf, supposedly an improved version of Cherokee Purple, was disappointing again this season. The taste was fabulous, but it was badly hit by disease, and stingy with tomatoes. A friend in Montreal had great success with hers again this season and is sending me seeds to try next year.

My standout for flavor this year was Maglia Rosa, a compact, beautiful pink-and-green 2" bullet-shaped variety that I grew in a 3 gallon pot. Usually, I prefer the taste of other varieties as the summer wears on, but this year it was tasty all season.

A new-to-me variety that I LOVED was Orange Strawberry, a large orange heart which just happens to be very high in lycopene, even when raw!

I grew two other orange varieties, also high in lycopene when eaten raw (as well as cooked). Persimmon, a large one, and Moonglow, a compact, medium-sized variety that really pumps them out. I found bother rather tart, and hubby isn't keen on orange tomatoes. So much for my efforts to increase Lycopene which is good for the prostate!!!!

My usual favourite, Little Lucky tasted rather watery this year. I may try growing Captain Lucky next season.

Blush, another favourite, was good, but not better than Maglia Rosa. I'll still grow it again next year though.

A friend, who really knows her tomatoes, said that my Sungold was "wrong". They did taste rather tart, and perhaps that is why Abbey (the pooch) went and sat beside the Napa Chardonnay plant in the hopes of getting some of THOSE. She was in luck because I found them sweet, but boring so she got them all :).

Anyone looking for a good red cherry should try Sweet Aperitif. I thought it tasted better than Sweet 100 the year that I grew it. Garnet, a bronze cherry, also bred by Gourmet Genetics in the UK, is another great-tasting cherry, and BTW both varieties are Open Pollinated :).

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:52 pm

I grew quite a few varieties of tomatoes this year...started more but some failed in the pot..2 have been mentioned here and i really wanted them to see what they were like..maglia rosa and sweet apertif...in general, everything had a real slow go and late ripening..loved Ernies Plump...Tiny Tim, Banana Legs, Green Zebra, Amish Paste..all good yields as usual...Carbon and Cherokee Purple were disappointing...Matts sweet cherry failed..ugh...Blush was Amazingggggg!...Abu Rawan won't stop and is a new fave...a real treat this year was Sgt Peppers, awesome looking, awesome flavour and a for sure repeat next year...forgot to start Roma so bought a flat...the deer got all the flowers so no fruit..gah!!!!!!...Beefsteak struggled...Moravsky Div was a new try and i will do it again next year...Costaluto Genovese was a real treat..ugly, heavily ribbed and real tasty..Lunch Box didn't disappoint (god, I love this variety)...Black Cherry did okay but yielded poorly...and i loa2t my Black Plum seeds...so glad my middle daughter saved seeds as well and grew them this year so i can give them another go next spring....anyway, lots to write in the journal cuz, well, I am getting on and starting to forget stuff...haha...thanks to Linda and Gill and Kathy for seeds this past season...wonderful to try new stuff
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Gardening”