Re: What is this?

Post by kenya » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:23 pm

Well we'll see if Jack shows up!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:45 pm

it's a red flowering dogwood. they grow fast....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:58 pm

WLLady wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:45 pm
it's a red flowering dogwood. they grow fast....
Holy Cow! It says they grow to 25feet with a spread of 25 feet.. It definately can not stay where it is.
Thanks WLLady !

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:18 pm

we get them popping up from time to time and i swear there's ANOTHER one in the garden by the driveway which is seriously 6 feet tall that wasn't there in april this year! we have one in our paddock and it's huge, and the darned seeds just sprout everywhere. we consider them weeds here....but quite often we need to use the tractor and a tow strap to pull them out.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Good to know ,this one is going, I have walnut trees popping up everywhere I don't need something else to fight with.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:57 am

That's weird! When I Googled "Red flowering dogwood" I got pictures of "real" dogwood trees and the flowers all appear en masse before the leaves (and are absolutely gorgeous). They are the typical understory trees. The leaves on Kenya's shrub don't look very dogwoody to me either. I do know that dogwoods can be invasive. We have the dreaded black twigged dogwood here and the leaves don't look dogwood-shaped either and they spread by rhyzomes - ugh! I wonder what an earth that is??????

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:21 pm

if it spreads by rhizomes then round up will be your best friend lol....cut the "trunk" and paint it with roundup paste....that's the only thing that kills that kind of stuff! i think this red flowered dogwood is an invasive tree from an ornamental (aka greenhouse stock) that really should not be here. The native dogwoods are lovely trees, and relatively tame (although they do sprinkle seeds far and wide!) some of the imported dogwoods are shrubby scrawny spindly things that procreate and grow like crazy....and i suspect they aren't "real" dogwoods, but classed together with the trees.....

or i might be completely wrong with what it is, but that's what my tree book says it is....

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:45 pm

The mower keeps the grey dogwood at bay, which is more than it does for sumac when THAT gets into the lawn! The grey twigged dogwood actually looks lovely in the wild as it forms beautiful huge clumps, but it's a bit much in a garden setting.

I bet you are right about the red flowered dogwood being an invasive ornamental that escaped !

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:49 pm

oh sumac is the WORST.....it just comes up 10 feet away from the last place. i haven't found much that will keep it out including the round up thing-since most of it is spawned on the edge of the field and i'm 100% sure it's resistant to most herbicides!
it's fun wood if you do any woodworking at all, if you soak it it is bendable, but otherwise....knock it over and the stuff will root where it falls. thankfully it's over THERE by the edge of the woods about 20 acres away LOL. we are forever plowing it under on the edge of the field.

we do however, get that wild grape vine everywhere....the birds drop seeds and all of a sudden there's grapevine up the hydro pole. or over the shed. or in the garden. and that stuff i think roots 100 meters into the dirt!

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:42 pm

Fortunately, we don't have sumac here, but we dug some up and planted it because we thought we would enjoy the fall colour. We did, but we did not enjoy all the shoots in the lawn. They would grow a foot in no time and the lawn would need cutting just to keep those darned things in check!

Here, we have wild grape vine too, and Virginia creeper which is trying to sneak into my shed. So many invasive nuisances!

Return to “Gardening”