Planting out

labradors
Head Chicken

Planting out

Post by labradors » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:32 pm

I planted all my tomato seedlings today as it was a dry day and there aren't any low temps in the forecast. What a relief, as many were already in flower. I'm still hanging on to the eggplants and peppers. The eggplants are big enough, but I find they do better when they go in a little later so that their leaves are big enough to resist flea beetles. My peppers are still quite small and they like it so hot that I hope they will benefit from waiting a little longer for the soil to warm up.

Has everyone else planted out and how's everything growing?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Planting out

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Just put out the tomato pants in a sea of mud! Who knows??
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 pm

I am leaving my tomato plants at the garden center until Friday, then if they look OK I will buy them ;)
Although since the mosquitoes are lining up in expectation of warmer weather, I may never make it outside ever again.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:07 pm

I too noticed that the soil was sticking onto the trowel KB. I chose to ignore it 'cos I really wanted to get 'em in!

Too funny OC! Aren't you a little worried that the garden center might sell out before you get there??? Then again, if you're not going to go outside, perhaps you need to grow some micro tomatoes in pots INSIDE {LOL}.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:25 pm

I put mine in a couple weeks ago but in my courtyard were its a little warmer. Mind you they haven't grown much but my patio potatoes are already up to the rim of the container.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:48 pm

I haven’t put a thing in the soil yet. Been hauling plants inside at night this week! Insane weather. Mother nature owes us a looooong, warm autumn to make up for this.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 am

Yup it keeps saying its going to warm up but it only seems to be for a day or two then cold and rainy again. I have nothing in my main garden.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:55 am

yeah i had to plant everything out last week due to travelling and just a general lack of time....sigh. so far so good, no frost YET. but knowing my luck it'll flood or freeze (or both)! everything including all the onions and potatoes and tomatoes, beans (seed so hopefully okay), pumpkins, winter squash, summer squash, lettuce (that will be fine), spinach, peas (seed), peppers (argh, i know those will lose the flowers a few time!), broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts (likely all okay too with a light frost....) anyways, it is what it is, and if they don't make it, there's always the farmers markets (unless they're in the same boat) or the *gasp* grocery store!!!! LOL.
it's looking a bit better the next 3 days.....
i can tell ya, the bugs are epic this morning! i can see them flying around in the sun and i'm thinking a bug suit may be in order, because they seem to not even give a single thought to 30% deet!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:35 am

When we moved out here in the seventies, there was an old farmer in the neighbourhood ( the only one with a veg garden) who never planted his garden before second week in June.
They actually lived of that garden and his garbage for the then by weekly pickup was one brown grocery bag half full.
Took me years to realize that the 2 weeks we were ahead of him meant the plants sat petrified doing absolutely nothing, waiting for the second week of June :)

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:59 pm

The second week of June? OH my!!!! That old farmer was probably right though. Last year a friend gave me 3 tomato plants that really needed to be planted as they were fruiting, so I put them in, even though the weather was cold and wet. They did so badly that I ended up having to haul them out :(.

Let's hope we've seen the last of the cold! Happy is right that Mother Nature owes us big time! :).

Return to “Gardening”