Planting out

labradors
Head Chicken

Planting out

Post by labradors » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:31 pm

I planted all my tomato seedlings today. What a relief, as many were in flower. I'm still hanging on to the eggplants and peppers. The eggplants are big enough, but I find they do better when they go in a little later so that their leaves are big enough to resist flea beetles. My peppers are still quite small and they like it so hot that I hope they will benefit from waiting a little longer for the soil to warm up.

Has everyone else planted out and how's everything growing?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Planting out

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 pm

Tomatoes and peppers are out...they were starting to get rootbound and I needed the shed space anyway. Sink or swim, they're in the ground. I hope hope hope we don't get a late frost. The peppers have been in the ground and doing well for over a week now, but today they actually finally saw some sun, and got a little sunburnt around some edges. Broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower seedlings are out, but I have to plant more cauliflower from seed, as not many came up. Tomatillo, cape gooseberry and ground cherry are out. Eggplants are being really slow, and only 4 plants came up out of 18. I think I might just but them in huge pots and call it good, since I'm running low on outside space, and we don't eat eggplants anyway! They are just for veggie customers. Onion sets are planted and perking away. Turnips are up. Spinach, lettuce and carrot seeds are planted but nothing poking up yet. I just seeded peas and peans two days ago. Sweet corn is planted, but very very few are poking up yet. I'm not sure if it's germinating poorly or just being slow. Pumpkin, cantaloupe and zucchini germination has been slow and spotty, and Watermelon and cucumber germination were non-existent, so I have to try again with all the cucurbits and hope for a LONG summer :roll:
Celery is still in flats waiting patiently to get in the ground. I still haven't sown beets yet, I had better get a move on! Potatoes aren't in yet, either!
Last edited by windwalkingwolf on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:58 pm

I haven't sown beets yet either, but my celery has been in the ground since last weekend. So far, so good. My basil is not doing so well, though. :-(
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Mfrase27
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Mfrase27 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:47 am

Planted my tomatoes this week. And the peppers. Beans are growing in my little starter pots but I still have to figure out where to trellis them. The chickens destroyed my lettuce. I thought they ruined the peas too but they bounced back! I have some other stuff to plant still but I bought the seedlings from a charity and they aren’t doing great. I am waiting to see if they pull through before I use up the garden space on duds.

Aquaponics is doing awesome though! I have some big lettuce plants and two celery stalks. They’re all grocery store produce that I used except the cores and stuck in to see what would happen. They bounced right back in the system! And no chickens can access it lol. A few days ago I sprinkled lettuce seed in and already it’s sprouting up. Fingers crossed!
Attachments
3CCF5C2A-BDB2-430F-8509-25A479FCCE0F.jpeg

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 pm

That is very cool, interesting experiment.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:31 pm

Lovely looking lettuce!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Wow they look perfect!

Return to “Gardening”