Plug trays and perlite

Cuttlefish
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Plug trays and perlite

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:25 pm

Where's the best place to get seed plug trays? I'm thinking of the 72 cell ones...? Does it really matter if they're round, hex, or square? I don't need those silly jiffy pellets or humidity domes, so don't want to pay $10 per tray.
Where might one get large (2 cu ft?) quantities of perlite and vermiculite?
Thanks! :chores:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Plug trays and perlite

Post by WLLady » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:37 pm

quite a few people i know just use old used tim hortons cups with dirt in the bottom.
I use miracle grow that i buy in a HUGE bag at TSC and just about any kind of pot/tray/whatever i have floating around. that said, i did buy some new flats and pots this year...but you can seed start in just about anything. old soup tins, timmies cups, old plant pots, the peat pots, peat pellets etc etc. old toilet paper tubes cut in half (so they are half as tall) stood up on a flat surface and filled with dirt...LOL.

that said, if you really want flats, go to a nursery and buy the bulk ones, where you buy each piece separately, or walmart.... :-)
and feed stores or tsc or country hardware stores will carry big bags of dirt. as for vermiculite and perlite, the only places i've seen those are garden centers/nurseries.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Plug trays and perlite

Post by Jaye » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:05 pm

WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST quite a few people i know just use old used tim hortons cups with dirt in the bottom.
I use miracle grow that i buy in a HUGE bag at TSC and just about any kind of pot/tray/whatever i have floating around. that said, i did buy some new flats and pots this year...but you can seed start in just about anything. old soup tins, timmies cups, old plant pots, the peat pots, peat pellets etc etc. old toilet paper tubes cut in half (so they are half as tall) stood up on a flat surface and filled with dirt...LOL.
Don't forget eggshell seed starter pots. :smile:
Cut the top of the egg off, remove contents and rinse out. Pierce a few little holes in the bottom, and fill with growing medium of your choice. Plop them in one of those clear plastic egg cartons with lids, poke some ventilation holes said lid, plant seeds and water, et voila! you have a little mini greenhouse for a dozen plants.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Plug trays and perlite

Post by thegawd » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:21 pm

cool idea Jaye! I dont think I would have the patience to do that though. LOL we've been saving timmies cups like mad and cant wait to start growing!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Cuttlefish
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Plug trays and perlite

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:26 pm

lol. I've actually done the egg cup thing, because it was adorable. But I need to save space... there's only so much room under the grow light or even the window... what I really need is a greenhouse!
I've been buying 4 cu ft bags of ProMix... but always looking to do things cheaper, and my plant plans are a little nutso-bananas this year (what do the kids say? Cray-cray?).
I suppose it's time to start visiting nurseries. : )

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Plug trays and perlite

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:32 pm

Go to Timmies and ask for some plastic muffin trays. They're free, they're sturdy and reusable. Lots of room for plants and roots, only caveat is you will have to tease or cut roots apart, but if you cut, even sensitive plants like peppers and cucumbers will survive and do well. They look like this

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Plug trays and perlite

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:33 pm

IMG_20160212_193156.jpg

StarviewRidge
Newly Hatched Chick

Plug trays and perlite

Post by StarviewRidge » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:35 am

We started using soil blocks last year...no more pots for us at all! It starts with the 3/4" block for seed starting (300 can fit in a normal tray) then they slide right into the 2" block, and then those into a 4" block. It is like using lego instead of transplanting. By not using pots, you are "air-pruning" the roots...they will never circle around the pot...just grow to the edge and then start new ones from the stem. It can take a bit of practice to make the blocks just right, but it is a an awesome system once you are using it.

As far as buying perlite in bulk quantities, we go to places like Terra greenhouses for our perlite, vermiculite and peat, but the price isn't much cheaper than places like Walmart or Home Depot.....it isn't worth the drive if it is out of your way. Things like plug trays, pots and those little domes for the trays have gotten ridiculous with their pricing in the last few years.
Attachments
xk904s01.jpg

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Plug trays and perlite

Post by thegawd » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:11 am

now that is friken cool Starviewridge!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Plug trays and perlite

Post by thegawd » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:26 am

I want to know more about that system!

to early for researching today plus its family day... is this available at a local nursery?

a quick link here.

http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/m ... money.html

lee valley has them

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.a ... 36&p=69004
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Gardening”