Daylilies

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Daylilies

Post by Killerbunny » Wed May 01, 2019 7:33 am

I have Condilla which is the most wonderful deep yellow with heavy petals. Got it from Joel & Jenn at Prosperity Acres.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Wed May 01, 2019 10:23 am

I sent an e-mail asking for the availability list from Rural Roots Gardens. They replied that the spring has been so wet that they don't know yet what will be available.

http://www.ruralrootsgardens.com/shipping.html

I bought a daylily root in a bag from Walmart called Entrapment a few weeks ago. I potted it but it has not grown. The roots were pretty dry and there was no green at the crown. I often don't get good results with plants that come like that (strawberries, etc).

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Wed May 01, 2019 4:13 pm

This one has a large selection. They have a sale on daylilies for anyone who can pick them up. It says they do mail order, but I haven't found the order and shipping information yet.

http://riverbendgardens.net/daylilies

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed May 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Botanus, which is in BC, has nice plants. I have ordered from them. https://www.botanus.com/

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu May 02, 2019 10:16 am

Riverbend emailed me back - they will ship bare root plants. I have asked where the order form and shipping information is on their website.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu May 02, 2019 4:00 pm

Stella d'Oro (gold, re-blooming) is pretty common, along with Happy Returns (yellow, re-blooming), but I still love them both because they are compact and they bloom their little hearts out for most of the summer. I designed a daylily bed with colours that blended from cool on the edges to hot in the middle. Several Stella's were planted in the middle with the reds and oranges to give a dynamic display - except I discovered to my dismay that Stella takes a break in mid-June when most of the other dayliles are in full bloom!?!?!?

Last year, I bought a variegated daylily called Golden Zebra which has a yellow flower. It is said that it can be grown for the unusual green-and-white striped foliage alone, so I had to give it a try. I hope it will grow and look gorgeous, despite its rather ordinary flower.

What a bummer that you didn't bring any of your Fern Leaf Peonies with you. They are pretty pricey to replace!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu May 02, 2019 4:12 pm

I looked at the fern leaf peonie, they are very pretty, do they grow well?

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu May 02, 2019 8:29 pm

I got a section from my mom, so I didn't pay anything for it. Back in Southern Ontario, it grew quite well and in a nice bushy clump. The flowers were red. Here are a couple of views.
fern-peony.JPG
PDR_0035.JPG

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu May 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Yes, I wish I could have brought more plants with the move, but it was the end of November and I also had to pack up our belongings for the move.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Fri May 03, 2019 10:41 am

Shirley at Riverbend Gardens sent me this reply about mail order from them:

No order form….we do mail order, but encourage personal shopping…send a list if you are interested, and I will reply with availability. Location is under CONTACT on website.

Shirley

KimChick Riverbend sells fern leaf peonies.
Single Fern leaf, $50.00, Double Fern Leaf $95.00.

Return to “Gardening”