Kale Question

KimChick
Head Chicken

Kale Question

Post by KimChick » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Does anyone know the type of kale in the photos? These were our first kale plants in our garden where we used to live. They were purchased at a garden center. These were excellent plants and easy to harvest the leaves and trim out the center vein.
Since moving here, we have not found any kale plants, so we started growing kale from seed. I have not been able to find any like the ones in the photos.
Perhaps they need a lot more thinning, but I did prefer the curly leaves.
At beginning of the season.
At beginning of the season.
By the end of the season.
By the end of the season.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Kale Question

Post by Jaye » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:17 pm

I don't know what kind it is, but it looks exactly the same as the kale I grew the last few years from started plants bought from Loblaws garden centres.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:49 pm

I think that is Curly Kale. I wont eat the stuff, don't like the texture and therefore don't grow it, but my mother did and made me eat it. But the other Kale that I find really good is called Red Russian Kale.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:58 pm

I think that is Curly Kale. I wont eat the stuff, don't like the texture and therefore don't grow it, but my mother did and made me eat it. But the other Kale that I find really good is called Red Russian Kale.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:23 pm

or dinosaur kale - it's very tasty too. I agree with you, @Farrier1987 , don't like the curly kale (thanks for putting a name to it) that I grew, but I didn't grow it for DH and me - it is strictly for our feathered friends here.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:30 pm

Hmmm... in the mean time, I will get the Portuguese Tronchuda Kale seeds and try to find some curly leaf at a garden center.
We grew a few Red Russian Kale plants, but they did not grow as well as I thought they would.
Could have been the type of summer, too.
I have also tried Lacinato Kale but did not like the long, thin leaves.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm

The top picture looks like curly kale, but the bottom looks more like Lacinato kale. Like you, Kimchick, I didn't appreciate those skinny leaves.

Everyone here loves curly kale. I use the small leaves for salads and cook the larger ones. I pick them for the chickens every day in season, and they eat the leafy bits while the dogs love the stems and will snitch them out of my hands while I'm holding them for the chickens! I'll be growing lots this year. I'm guessing that Blue Curled is the best. I grew both varieties last year, but didn't label them and it was difficult to tell the difference.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:09 am

looks like vates curly kale to me, although maybe not as blue.....it's got a more open curl than some of the others....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:41 pm

Just googled curly vates kale. The ones in the 2nd photo were taller than 24"; they were more like 36-48". Both photos are the same plants; the 2nd photo is after harvesting a few leaves over the growing season; I wanted to show how tall they grew and the growing habit.
So, I guess they are some type of curly kale, but definitely not Lacinato.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:50 pm

In that case, what the heck are you using for fertilizer in that garden because my curly kale plants (which I thought were very healthy) did not grow as tall as that {LOL}.

Return to “Gardening”