The best heritage pumpkin ever!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

The best heritage pumpkin ever!

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:02 am

So i was gifted 3 plants in return for a rooster earlier this past spring. i thought it was really really nice of the folks-a young couple just embarking on chicken math and i was willing to just give them the rooster, but they insisted on bringing something to trade. so. a hubbard squash, an ornamental squash and a fortna pumpkin plant.

fortna is a heritage white skinned pumpkin....and if you like pumpkin and have the room-the plant rambles like mad - it is phenomenal! the taste is between a butternut squash and regular orange pumpkin. they're about 5-6 pounds in size, so perfect for 2 people....the soup i made from it was amazing! the plant is a serious rambler-mine was easily 25 feet long, and resistant to everything, the frost killed it back. it didn't get any powdery mildew or squash bugs or flea beetles or anything like that. i was super amazed...and i got easily 8 pumpkins off the one plant

super easy to scoop the seeds out, tons of seeds, and they bake up really really nicely too-the hulls aren't as thick and tough as regular orange pumpkins.
i'm definitely going to grow this one again.
fortna pumpkin.jpg
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: The best heritage pumpkin ever!

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Oh, sounds delightful! I had a look for some seed, but they seem to be few and far between. I hope you saved some!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:31 pm

i have another 6 pumpkins cured waiting on eating so i should have seeds.....bakers creek (rareseeds.com) carries them too
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:16 am

Thanks for the post.....we'll need to try them!

Return to “Gardening”