Garlic Planting

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Garlic Planting

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:43 pm

So with the crazy weather when are you planning to plant garlic? I am still picking a few tomatoes.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Garlic Planting

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:08 pm

I am waiting for my cucumber bed to be empty, first time ever I didn't plant Peas Before Garlic in my 4 year rotation and now paying the price.
I keep Carp Fair as a reminder to plant garlic, only because I am not likely to miss it, but there were times I didn't plant until end of October, I suspect this is going to be one of those years.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:43 am

i need to actually find a spot to plant my garlic into.....my tomatoes might have bit it last night with 3C here....but the lettuce is going strong, and the beans, well, picked beans for dinner last night and they're still not stringy! maybe i'll put it over where the cucumbers were, those vines pretty much gave it up the first night we hit 10C. but yeah....needs to go in soon. usually i'm planting that in october, and given that october starts on monday i guess it's time!!!! don't know where the year has gone.
i have a friend that gave me a bunch of different types of garlic a few years ago, and i've settled on some that i really really like. elephant garlic for the mildness, sicilian (or however it's spelled) for the heat, and a russian something or another for an all around good strong but not stinky garlic. so i'll have 3 types going in this fall. yum!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:31 am

We plant our garlic after the first or second frost. Then cover it with straw. Last year is planted at the end of Oct. We had them sprout. So, we'll be looking at Nov to plant.

We plant about 10 varieties. From mild to hot and spicy. This was a great year for garlic.

Return to “Gardening”