pollen bees

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

pollen bees

Post by WLLady » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:37 pm

so i put up some solitary/pollen bee nests this summer to see what would happen....
in the one it seems the spiders like it but there are twigs and grass in 2 of the cells....and the other actually has sealed cells now!!! the bottom row of 6 are sealed with mud like stuff....
20180909_193208.jpg
20180909_193144.jpg
so apparently the instructions say to either leave them out or put them in an unheated barn or shed for the winter and they will do their thing....so i plan on leaving them out where they are and seeing what happens...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

WLLady

Re: pollen bees

Post by WLLady » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:49 am

@SusanH i finally got some photos up LOL. I bought these off amazon.ca (go figure). they're pretty simple....i did make one out of the stems of some of those invasive reed plants that are growing all over the ditches, but so far no one has done anything with it....but its' also just by my greenhouse and not really in the middle of any plants or anything. in the top photo the bottom 6 larger holes are sealed with mud or something. and in the bottom the one about 10 oclock has stuff in it, and there's grass in the 8 oclock one....curious to see how they go
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:10 am

It would be really cool if you could set up a camera on them, and see what pops out in the Spring!

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:10 pm

i would love to put one of my trail cameras up and see the comings and goings but i'm not sure a wee bee would trip the motion sensor....maybe i'll have to pick DH's brain about a "pollen bee/greenhouse/plant/chicken cam"....lol.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:49 pm

I'll be taking my bamboo one down and keeping it in the garage until spring. I can't wait to see what emerges from those grass-filled tubes. I have a couple of your type from Amazon but will wait now until spring to put them out. I have lots of bumblebees now, but I don't know where they are nesting.

Return to “Gardening”