2018 how did your garden grow?

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: 2018 how did your garden grow?

Post by Jaye » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:47 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:10 pm
[...] Also I have managed to kill off my mint, honestly!
Plant it where you don't want it to grow, @Killerbunny . It will thrive. ;-) I planted mine in wicking bed containers this year. Works really well.
Last edited by Jaye on Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Windwalkingwolf, can you save some seeds from those big boys?

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Good to hear that its not just me with the parsnips...i used to get all of my seed from heritage seeds in Manitoba..never had an issue..then last year i bought some OSC seed from my brother in law's store and had maybe 20% germination..got some more seed fast and replanted and nada....I went back to him and started a conversation on the matter...he wasn't sure and said he didnt manage the seeds..it was done by the area rep who sets up the spinner and stocks the rack and then at the planting season end comes and gets it all again...they get a cut at the store...his info was that the seeds are sent back to warehousing where a sample is taken, planted and tested for seed viability...if its not good the seeds are not to be sold next year...my take on this, cynical cuss that I am, is that we have managed to get old non viable seed despite the 'story'...I am not going this route again...back to Manitoba...nuff said :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Re: parsnips, I really like them roasted with onions and bacon in olive oil or butter, then added to pasta, with a few sprigs of parsley as a garnish. The salty bacon paired with sweet parsnip makes a really nice flavour combination.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:07 pm

I LOVE parsnips and popped some in a row in front of my chard. They never came up and I figured that somehow it was my fault. That was a couple of years ago. I don't have much luck with carrots in my clay soil (although at least they germinate!) so I didn't bother to try parsnips again. It's easier just to buy them at the store......

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Grapes, stop torturing us, bad enough with the watermelons, any bananas? ;)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:50 pm

after washing and picking them off the stems i am DONE with grapes for this year. my spaghetti squash are just turning yellow. going to try one for dinner tonight. figure its likely half way cooked already in the hot down here....
also last year i had a very poor norland red potato harvest. like horrible poor. guess what i just dug up? yep. last years row of norlands that sprouted this spring instead of last. roughly another 50 pounds....lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Ok...enough already...one of 12 plants...Amish Paste....wonderful canning tomato.
20180902_193556.jpg
..and the only fertilizer is old cow crap in fall tilled in...got a little blight coming on so hurry up ripening is my daily prayer
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:15 pm

I'm saying daily prayers too: The blight is setting in on my one and only tomato plant this year, so I'm not holding out much hope for mine to ripen. That's okay, though. I only planted it as an afterthought and because I felt sorry for it in the clearance section, obviously abandoned. I'm mostly off tomatoes for the moment anyway; I'm supposed to stay away from nightshades for a while. Your plant still looks pretty vigorous, though, Tom, so here's hoping you get a good crop from it.
Last edited by Jaye on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:32 pm

labradors wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:52 pm
Windwalkingwolf, can you save some seeds from those big boys?
Yes indeed!
TomK wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:12 pm
last year i bought some OSC seed from my brother in law's store and had maybe 20% germination..got some more seed fast and replanted and nada....I went back to him and started a conversation on the matter...he wasn't sure and said he didnt manage the seeds..it was done by the area rep who sets up the spinner and stocks the rack and then at the planting season end comes and gets it all again...they get a cut at the store...his info was that the seeds are sent back to warehousing where a sample is taken, planted and tested for seed viability...if its not good the seeds are not to be sold next year...my take on this, cynical cuss that I am, is that we have managed to get old non viable seed despite the 'story'...I am not going this route again...back to Manitoba...nuff said :run:
I have had the same experience EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I have bought OSC seed. I used to think it was something I was doing wrong, but it's not. This year, I bought a corn variety that caught my eye, and would supposedy mature a couple weeks earlier than my saved seed. Not a single one came up, while my own 4 year old seed sprouted fine. So, I took some and tried to sprout it in damp paper towels. Nothing. It didn't rot or mildew, it just didn't sprout.

Return to “Gardening”