2018 how did your garden grow?

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Re: 2018 how did your garden grow?

Post by Skinny rooster » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:51 am

Well thanks to the unusual warm weather, instead of the garden being finished by first week of September, I was out last Saturday harvesting a second wave of tomatoes, green peppers, burgundy beans, watermelon and honeydew melons. I pulled everything up because I'm done with the garden, I don't want to be out there in October! I am so sick of watermelon, honeydew melons, green peppers and tomatoes! Lol

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:26 pm

we just ate another watermelon....and 2 more sitting on the counter because the vines took a hit last night with 3c. peppers all picked. tomatoes are still going stupidly crazy. still getting yellow and green beans!! picked the acorn squash and hubbards. enough squash to last a lifetime sigh. potatoes are in (about 75 pounds). another crop of lettuce coming up. but this weekend most will get removed and the garden closed up for the winter....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:27 am

I grew a LOOFAH! How cool is that? There's a few more little ones out there, but they're not ready yet and frost will come any day now. At least I have seed for next year! :chores:
received_500567120417552.jpeg

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:49 pm

Well, I cannot complain...our resident doe and twins (this year) managed fo create havoc with the chard and beets but otherwise we have had a bounty ...tomatoes have been unbelievable to say t.he least, they are still going and show no sign of letting up although i am sure that frost will see to that before long...i have hubbard, pepper, acorn, and butternut squash to see me til spring...cantaloupes are all ripening at the same time so i am eatin and/ or giving those away...the over ripe ones are a treat for the chickens...potatoes yielded well, even with the confusion on russets when i thought i bought yukon golds...but i have about 100 lbs in the cellar now...the russian purple are awesome...cukes were great...i grow a variety named Tante Alice....sweet, straight, great slicer...cabbages did well given the hot dry summer...only lost three to split...i grow both red and green...garlic and onions are hanging to dry...i bought a dehydrator and am drying the herbs...makes the place smell great...sage, oregano, thyme, basil and parsley...the beans had a slow start, thank you to the walking venison but the three varieties i grow came back and produced quite well...turnips and kohlrabi yielded really really well...i cant think of it all but am collecting seeds...parsnips and carrots will eb in the ground a while yet and will collect seeds next year... Still looking to connect with Linda to swap tomato seeds ....hint hint...lol...:run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:58 pm

Tom, I sent you an email ;).

Linda

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:18 pm

@TomK , any chance you could save some of those cucumber seeds for me? I want to try an English type next year!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:40 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:18 pm
@TomK , any chance you could save some of those cucumber seeds for me? I want to try an English type next year!
Jan....you bet.... :beer2:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:01 am

we just opened the last watermelon and unfortunately for us (fortunate for the chickens) it was a little too ripe....so it got taken out for the chickens and whatever the dog didn't eat is theirs! my mare tried a mouthful and decided it wasn't sweet enough LOL. normally she rips into watermelon....makes a huge mess. LOL. my lawn is littered with various squash rinds...all paper thin from the chickens.

picked the last of the squashes, still have loads of tomatoes and my fall bearing raspberries are flowering. they're confused. they should be in berry right now! argh! ah well. maybe the frost will hold off a little while longer....
lettuce is going crazy in the cooler weather, but my brussel sprouts are a total bust this year. virtually no sprouts. and the cauliflower took a hit with the heat. so....that's okay. whatever. i'm swamped in squashes. hubbards - like 3 different types, and spaghetti squash and acorn squash (small but yummy this year). pumpkins....this weekend will be busy bleaching and storing and maybe making a couple of pumpkin pies. YUM
i grew "thunder" english slicer cucumbers this year, and was totally overwhelmed in cucumbers. thankfully the chickens love them. only thing i didn't like was they are curved, and some tended to grow in almost a circle, i'm sure if i trellised them they'd be straighter....but so crispy! and not a bitter one in the bunch, even the bigger ones weren't bitter at all!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:53 am

Picked a few tomatoes yesterday.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Dug out half the potatoes yesterday. The Yukon whatever, no more then 5 potatoes per hill, nice size but pathetic yeald, the Red much better yeald.
My $20 potato still in the ground the top stil green.
Awful lot of curly cukes this year, what's up with that?
Collected some green tomatoes and put in cold storage, they will finish over next few weeks, stil better then bought ones.
Lettuce still looking good and some cohlrabies still in the ground, the can stay until it snows ;)

Return to “Gardening”