2018 how did your garden grow?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: 2018 how did your garden grow?

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:58 pm

I think part of the problem was the warehouse with the seed potatoes for Eastern Ontario went up in flames so there was a lot of rushing around to get any by the feedstores etc. to get any. It may not have been their fault.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:02 pm

TomK wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:39 pm
Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:03 pm
My Yukon Gold that were problematic when they started officially suck! I'm sure the small potatoes I did get from them will be delicious though.
Well, Gill, you are one up on me...i got seed potatoes in Kemptville at Pioneer Nursery this spring...i wanted Yukon Gold...they had a barrel labeled as such among a whole host of other varieties...I bought about 20lbs worth and planted them...just this week I dug a couple of hills at the front of the row...hmmm..not Yukon Gold..more like a russet..wondered if there were a couple of vagabonds in my purchase, so being the engineering type i went down halfway on the row and dug another hill....same!!! Well darn it all....a hundred feet of beautiful medium size Russets ..not actually a bad thing but not what I wanted....can't be too careful these days even at a small family run business...
:dunno:
This makes me somewhat curious, did the seed potatoes look like Yukon Gold?

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:02 pm
TomK wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:39 pm
Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:03 pm
My Yukon Gold that were problematic when they started officially suck! I'm sure the small potatoes I did get from them will be delicious though.
Well, Gill, you are one up on me...i got seed potatoes in Kemptville at Pioneer Nursery this spring...i wanted Yukon Gold...they had a barrel labeled as such among a whole host of other varieties...I bought about 20lbs worth and planted them...just this week I dug a couple of hills at the front of the row...hmmm..not Yukon Gold..more like a russet..wondered if there were a couple of vagabonds in my purchase, so being the engineering type i went down halfway on the row and dug another hill....same!!! Well darn it all....a hundred feet of beautiful medium size Russets ..not actually a bad thing but not what I wanted....can't be too careful these days even at a small family run business...
:dunno:
This makes me somewhat curious, did the seed potatoes look like Yukon Gold?
Yea...actually they did...i should have cut one though so my error...these russets I dug up LOOK like russets tho so perhaps i was not paying that much attention and just went by the label...serves me right for rushing
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:12 pm

I seriously have to roast some beets and pickle other beets tomorrow, or as soon as the weather is cooler. Then blanch and freeze the greens; if there is no room in the freezer, I'll have to pressure can them.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:55 am

@TomK SO I dug up a patch of Russet Burbank at the weekend and they are tiny, golf ball to tennis ball sized. They had completely died back. Anyway I had to look very closely to separate them from my Yukon Gold. I am wondering what is going on.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:30 am

Aha,so possibly we are loosing the Yukon Gold distinctive look and @TomK is completely blameless.
Might be time to go back to Nepal.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:30 am
Aha,so possibly we are loosing the Yukon Gold distinctive look and @TomK is completely blameless.
Might be time to go back to Nepal.
Haha..i am never completely blameless...but i think sometimes it is hard to know the variety of most potatoes....i should have cut one to check..me bad... :sSig_censored:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:23 pm

russetts are "netted" on the surface....yukons arent. but if you have an off pH (like if you add ash to your garden) you can get a kind of potato scab on yukons that make it look netted....yukons are typically a very yellow fleshed potato....light browny yellow skin where russetts are a more reddish brown in my experience. i have an awful time with hollow core in my russetts.....and i grow those, yukon and norlands every year. this year the bicolours i got from here on the forum did quite well....looking forward to trying them out!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:45 am

It was the russets that were odd, almost no netting. I think it had to do with the maturity of them.
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:39 am

ah.....okay. i've never had much issue with getting big netted russets even early in the season.....sigh. hopefully next year they'll be better!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Gardening”