2018 how did your garden grow?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: 2018 how did your garden grow?

Post by WLLady » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:22 pm

i have to admit i bought osc seed twice. way back when. and never again. just got back from a friends who said she has planted butternuts and got tons of flowers and no squash setting-even after fertilizing them by hand so she pulls out her seed and its al osc...i am going to start plants for her next year-from my seed...from my supplier....lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:46 am

I tried OSC seed a couple of times too, never again!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:07 am

WLLady wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:50 pm
after washing and picking them off the stems i am DONE with grapes for this year. my spaghetti squash are just turning yellow. going to try one for dinner tonight. figure its likely half way cooked already in the hot down here....
also last year i had a very poor norland red potato harvest. like horrible poor. guess what i just dug up? yep. last years row of norlands that sprouted this spring instead of last. roughly another 50 pounds....lol

Question....i grew sgetti squash again this year...threw a few hills in with the tangked mess of my gourd garden...never really paid much attention in past years but MJ likes fhem so wth....anyway, at what point do they turn yellowish on the outer skin...hasn't happened yet...and i read that they can cross pollinate with zucchini....would that give me some weird hybrid as i saved seeds from last years crop....i have a bunch of surprise what i thought was zucchini in there but I am thinking something outworldly may have happened.... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:29 am

mine have just started turning yellow-about 20 days past when i thought they would. they should also get rock hard rind and the stem should start shriveling....then theyre ripe apparently. i had 2 yellow ones and about 20 white still as of yesterday. they are a more end of season squash here....and always take much longer for me to ripen than i anticipate....you could always cut one open and see....lol....if its not quite ready bake it like squash and cube it out....wont be as tasty but still edible especially with butter and brown sugar lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:00 am

Well they are large..dark green ..veru hard shelled ..the chickens love them..im thinking mostly zucchini-ish...who knows....I have Hubbards that will see me thru and loads of butternut and acorn..mi am soso on the spaghetti squash anyways

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:02 am

ooookay mine were never green......so.....

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:28 am

WLLady wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:02 am
ooookay mine were never green......so.....
Yup...not what i thought they were

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:03 pm

My Yukon Gold that were problematic when they started officially suck! I'm sure the small potatoes I did get from them will be delicious though.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:46 am
I tried OSC seed a couple of times too, never again!
Thanks for the warning! I was just going through my veggie seeds and my parsnips were OSC. Imagine that!!!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:39 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:03 pm
My Yukon Gold that were problematic when they started officially suck! I'm sure the small potatoes I did get from them will be delicious though.
Well, Gill, you are one up on me...i got seed potatoes in Kemptville at Pioneer Nursery this spring...i wanted Yukon Gold...they had a barrel labeled as such among a whole host of other varieties...I bought about 20lbs worth and planted them...just this week I dug a couple of hills at the front of the row...hmmm..not Yukon Gold..more like a russet..wondered if there were a couple of vagabonds in my purchase, so being the engineering type i went down halfway on the row and dug another hill....same!!! Well darn it all....a hundred feet of beautiful medium size Russets ..not actually a bad thing but not what I wanted....can't be too careful these days even at a small family run business...
:dunno:

Return to “Gardening”