Question Celebrity Tomato

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Celebrity Tomato

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:03 am

I would say no but definitely a vey large cherry. Mine this year are oversize.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:26 am

I am saving seeds for the fall too if anyone is interested in the varieties that I grow.

Linda

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:43 am

labradors wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:26 am
I am saving seeds for the fall too if anyone is interested in the varieties that I grow.

Linda
Very much, Linda...we can mail or meet to exchange?....a little later in the season tho...lol :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:43 am

Agree on the brandy vine, would never bother again.
I am probably not a good judge of large tomatoes, not that fond of them, but love love Cherry tomatoes..
This year as every other year the "Sweet 100 cherry tomato is an absolute favorite and aded new just as good are "Sungold cherry " just as good yellow version.
This is Sweet 100 before started to turn red, record clump of 24 tomatoes
Tomato, record 24 cherry tomatoes.jpg

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:51 am

TomK wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:43 am
labradors wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:26 am

Linda
Very much, Linda...we can mail or meet to exchange?....a little later in the season tho...lol :run:
Sounds like a plan! I haven't even tasted ripe ones of many of the varieties that I'm growing - yet, but it won't be long - if I can get to them before the critter who is helping himself!

I'm tempted by your Ernie's Plump which sounds like a good one, although I don't know why, as I always end up with so many tommies that I don't really need to grow some "just" for sauce {LOL}.

Linda

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:07 am

The Sweet (bazillion? Lol) cherry is a favourite of my husband's, and they sell well at markets. Seed saved from them breeds true enough to keep him happy, so 8 years later, I'm sure the sweet 100 I grow are very far removed from the hybrid seeds I bought way back when, but it's ridiculously productive and rarely splits. My only complaint is that it's delicate, and whether ripe or tiny and green, they fall off the vine at a sneeze. Then the following year I get volunteers coming out my you-know-what.
I've never grown "coloured" tomatoes for myself, except for a yellow, "Azoychka", and it was tart enough I've never bothered to taste weirdly coloured tomatoes again. I've grown varieties that were SO acid that there was NO way I could doctor the sauce I made from them to make it palatable to me. Howard German comes to mind.
I do grow an orange grape/mini plum originally called "Nugget" (from saved seed so again no longer that variety) that I'm assured is amazingly sweet, but I can't quite bring myself to bite one. Pink, orange and red are mostly what I've stuck to, because I know them. I grew a lovely accidental oxheart a couple years ago, a cross between BION and Super Italian Paste (another sweet favourite), enormous and productive, but sauced them all and unfortunately didn't save seeds from those plants.
That said, @TomK , Banana legs sounds amazing and @labradors , Carbon sounds worth a try. I love growing huge, sweet fruit. I'll be 80 before I can bring myself to grow a green or *gasp* zebra variety. Baby steps.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:25 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:07 am
That said, @TomK , Banana legs sounds amazing and @labradors , Carbon sounds worth a try. I love growing huge, sweet fruit. I'll be 80 before I can bring myself to grow a green or *gasp* zebra variety. Baby steps.
Sounds good, Jan, i will save you some seeds...btw, order the catalog from Heritage Seeds in Manitoba...really great read and a wicked selection of tomatoes as well as all the other veggies
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:43 am

They used to have a tomato-tasting day in Kingston, and I was thrilled to go along one year to sample 90 different varieties. Imagine my dismay when they all tasted tart to me! I have a feeling that many were picked too early. I also learned that they were grown with no supplemental water, which can affect the taste.

I love sweet tomatoes with a full tomato taste. I also prefer the size of saladettes or cherries. If anyone likes really sweet large tomatoes, I found that Aunt Ginnie's Purple (a pink) was too sweet!

I grow mostly pinks, reds, bi-colour red/pink and blacks. I'm not crazy about orange, except for Sungold F1. A friend introduced me to green-when-ripe again. I had already tried Green Zebra and Green Zebra Cherry which were not really my bag, although sometimes it's good to confuse people/dogs/critters as to when something is ripe {LOL}. This year, I am growing a tasty green-when-ripe called Green Gables :).

Linda

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:25 pm

I didn't mention it in last post but for those who are unaware "Baker seeds" has extensive reviews, good and bad on almost every type of tomato or every other kind of vegetables. These are very helpful in deciding what to try for next year. The more of the Carbon I have the better I like them.
Slightly sweet and well balanced.
https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/tomatoes/

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm not sure which varieties DH planted this year, but he has been out there at night, with a black light, finding a lot of tomato hornworms. He found some on the potatoes, too.
We preserve both diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Return to “Gardening”