Question Celebrity Tomato

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Celebrity Tomato

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:25 am

I was being lazy so bought a couple of garden centre toms to go along with the heritage ones. Celebrity is now ripe and I wondered if anyone else grew them. I am not impressed at all as they seem less flavourful and rather watery tasting. OK still better than supermarket ones but I wondered if it is just us that aren't keen? My Costoluto Genovese will be ripe in the next few days thank goodness!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Celebrity Tomato

Post by labradors » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:42 pm

I've never tried Celebrity, but I grew Costoluto Genovese the year of the drought and it was plagued with BER. The plant never even grew out of it, and it was the only one out of 30 varieties that was inflicted :(. CG was incredibly prolific, and great for making sauce, but I'm not tempted to try it again.

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:55 pm

I do have them (for the same reason) but I picked all the red ones and don't know which is which now, but will taste test them tomorrow

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:33 pm

I haven't tried Celebrity, but your experience sounds like my own with Brandywine, Better Boy and Fantastic. Touted as being possibly the best-tasting varieties, I was extremely underwhelmed and won't bother with any of them ever again. Fine for cooking, with but not much else. I've found tomato breeders have a bad habit of making taste take a back seat to productivity and disease resistance.
But I like a very firm, very sweet tomato for slicing and salads, that's also good for sauce. I'm still on the hunt for THE tomato.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:37 pm

Hmmm. Not sure about the "very firm" requirements, but very sweet for slicing and salads and also good for sauce would be the hearts. Anna Russian and Fish Lake Oxheart are two hearts I have grown that are excellent.

I have decided that I cannot grow Brandywine because it is just too late. I love the flavor, but mine always tend to rot on the vine before they ripen.

Back to Celebrity, I just Googled it, and it received a lot of negative taste reviews from the people on Tomatoville last year :(. Apparently, it used to taste good, but not any more ?!?!?

Linda

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:08 pm

Looks like I'll have a good harvest on Abu Rawan this year. It came out of Iraq and is delicious if small. Does really well in heat. Jans "Believe it or Not" is very good but they just didn't grow this year, previous years have been terrific.
Mutt chickens for eggs

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:32 pm

I tried 'Celebrity' a couple of years ago...meh...lotta hoopla over not much...i don't do hybrids anymore now so its a moot point for me...this year i got all the tomatoes in late so i haven't had much as yet...i tried a plant of 'Banana Legs' this year...had 2 tomatoes so far and am pleased...very sweet...firm...great in a salad...i grow 'Amish Paste' and 'Black Plum' for canning and sauces and 'Ernies Plump' and a beefsteak for eating...the beefsteak being a variety i forgot the name of...as well i have a couple of plants of ' Green Zebra' that i enjoy...looks like the crop will be bountiful when it decides to ripen and nary a sign of blight so far...fingers crossed....is anyone into sharing heritage tomato seeds?..i would be up for that.. :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:41 pm

I planted "Carbon " for that search of best tasting tomato. Definitely rates up there with the best. It is considered a black tomato but red on sides. A few are ripening and the flavour is really very good. It is also very juicy so may not be your liking and they are not heavy bearers but are a good slicing size. My seed came from Baker Seeds.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:53 pm

Yes Tom I can share some seeds next year. I get mine from Baker Creek too normally, I was just trying out and being lazy because mine were a bit behind. My AMish Paste have never done that well. I'm also trying Legend this year. I have Chadwick Cherry going gangbusters for cherry toms.
Mutt chickens for eggs

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:48 pm

My Believe it or Not I got in late this year...planted in April but didn't get them in the ground until mid-June. They're tomato-ing furiously but will be a while yet before grown and ripe. Fingers crossed we don't get early frost.
This variety is worth growing for taste and sheer size, it's been my favourite for about 14 years, but is a bit sloppy for untoasted sandwiches. I should have lots of seeds in the fall if anyone wants some.
KB, Abu Rawan, CG and Chadwick are very good, tasty if annoying to skin. The Chad I got from you a couple years ago, was a HUGE "cherry" , some almost the size of tennis balls. Is this typical?

Return to “Gardening”