Tomatos, Show and tell...

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Tomatos, Show and tell...

Post by labradors » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:16 pm

I had some Maglia Rosa tomatoes for lunch today and they are YUMMY :)
Here is the blurb from the breeder https://store.growartisan.com/product/m ... rry-tomato

I grow them in a 3 gallon container on my deck. They are an elongated pink and green cherry, and the great thing about them is that they taste delicious at any stage of ripeness. They don't even really need staking as they are floppy and spready.

I can save some seeds to share if anyone is interested.

Linda

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:24 pm

labradors wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:16 pm
I had some Maglia Rosa tomatoes for lunch today and they are YUMMY :)
Here is the blurb from the breeder https://store.growartisan.com/product/m ... rry-tomato

I can save some seeds to share if anyone is interested.

Linda

Linda, I would love to try this variety...and i am a big fan of seed swap....let me know and we can set something up
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Sure thing Tom. I probably have other varieties that you would like too :).

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:54 pm

thegawd wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:40 pm
she tells me its called a green zebra and she had 1 more I was able to take a couple pics of. its not very big but probably absolutly perfect for a BELT. maybe 2 1/2". you know they have a very unique taste its almost like they are salted. i like them and attempted to save some seeds, then I seen the price at Baker Creek. https://www.rareseeds.com/green-zebra-tomato/

we did not grow much from seed... next year. but she got them wherever they were reduced to clear. we also have pineapple, beef stake, early girl and cherry. they are all in bloom and most have tomatos on them but only the zebras are ready.

Screenshot_20180719-211142.png
Screenshot_20180719-211232.png
Screenshot_20180719-211343.png
I do like the look of these, so nice to put a different variety on the plate.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Just got some ripe fruit from my Legend, late blight resistant tomato and they are delicious. I'll grow these next year.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:37 am

This first one, I did NOT grow this year, but is worth noting for its' sheer size. World's largest paste tomato, called Romeo. Extremely productive, solid meat, and not uncommon to get 20 lb.s of fruit off a single plant...but possibly also the world's blandest tomato. It tastes almost as close to nothing, as water. Water may have MORE flavour. Worth growing if you like growing giant fruits and vegetables, or need a bland tomato for cooking down, to offset some that are TOO tomato-ey :rofl: . Also worth noting that it's breeder went bankrupt :dunno: ;) Seed originally from Casey's Heirloom Tomatoes in 2013.
DSC00648.JPG
DSC00650.JPG
The second one, is my standby tomato, a slicer that I grow just about every year. Also huge, regularly reaches two lbs., but surprisingly delicious. Blossoms are often fused together and doubled, tripled or even quadrupled, and staking the monsters is a full time job if you don't have the space and the groundcover to let them sprawl. Seed was originally from Tomato Grower's Supply in 2004.

DSC00625.JPG
DSC00627.JPG

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Not exactly show and tell as I have nothing to show :(.

Someone recommended Cherry Roma as having surprisingly good taste, so I grew a plant this year. As usual, I didn't have enough room in the veggie garden for all my seedlings, so Cherry Roma ended up in a flower bed, far from the hose, and had to fend for itself. Mostly forgotten, the mice ate the ripening fruit. Today, I spotted some red ones and picked them all to ripen inside where I could keep an eye on them, tasting the ripest one which wasn't bad, but could have been a tad softer. Noticing something that needed to be tied up in the garden, I put down my little bowl (bad idea) as I went about my work. When I went to pick up the bowl it was empty and Abbey, the yellow opportunivore, was sitting close by looking guilty. I guess I never will taste a ripe Cherry Roma...…..

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:11 pm

Big :sSig_censored: tomato. Just cooked down my first pot of sauce for the year with these, and it's exceptional, not too acid, and no additional sweetening needed.
received_2130188120581054.jpeg
That is ONE tomato, over 3 lbs.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:57 pm

Still have some cherry tomatoes, have great plans for them :)

Return to “Gardening”