New potatoes and perch today.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: New potatoes and perch today.

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:06 pm

And for potatoes. I do like my Caribes. Went to get potatoes today, dug the first hill, was three tiny russets. Not enough, so I dug ythe hill next to it. Was the first hill of Caribes I have dug this year. One real big one, one and two decent sizr and a few smaller ones. Planted mid April. Flowered two weeks ago. Still not done growing. And the Caribes store pretty much like a Yukon Gold. I really like them.
Attachments
One hill Caribes, one gems, June 28
One hill Caribes, one gems, June 28
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:40 pm

Wow Love the colour and size!!!

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:29 pm

This is definitely my idea of supper in heaven. Especially the beet greens with tiny beets attached. New potatoes, fresh fish. If God made anything better, s/he kept it for her/himself.

I've been away (at dog camp - good grief therapy) and am now lamenting the result of no water all that time. My potato plants are usually big bushy things by now. This year they are scrawny and yellowing and flopped over. I gave them a good soaking but I don't know whether they can come back from the state they are in. Oh well. It's a miracle I got anything planted, so if I get any spuds, I'll be happy. I don't even want to look at those new trees I planted.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:03 am

I planted new trees this spring and I've been lugging water to them from washing up and stuff. Basically ignoring the veggies.
What do you do at dog camp?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:40 pm

Your spuds are probably ready to dig Susan H! Mine are mostly dead now (due to neglect). They are also rather mis-shapen…..

What fun to go to dog camp! I went years ago when I had dogs that loved other dogs. Do tell us all about it!

Linda

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:43 pm

The plants died before flowering, so I'd be surprised, but I'll see. I didn't plant them until 1 June. Irish cobbler. The other varieties seem to be making a comeback.

I made a ne thread for the dog camp.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:17 am

My potato plants are hit and miss. Had some people here last night and dug some for them to take home. Took three hills the get them a meal. Some seem to have gone to all top. I did manure some of the garden last winter, wondering if they got planted there? That's what over fertilization does to potatoes I have been told. Other plants dying down now, I did plant about a month apart so some still growing. Will see when its time to actually dig them. Garlic out and drying. Second planting of beets doing well and having some as desired and some getting bigger for later. Some forestation from dill and mustard greens in the garden, I must get hacking soon. I keep saying that. Peas are all done. Does anyone on here plant a second time for sept/oct green peas? I didn't grow up with this longer season.

Still need some sweet potato advice from anyone that grows them.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:08 am

I will be planting a second crop of peas next week. WOrks here and you are, I think, in a warmer spot than I am.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Gardening”