New potatoes and perch today.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

New potatoes and perch today.

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:49 am

Tickled under a hill and they are there lurking. Going to have new potatoes, fried perch, salad, beet greens with the young beets about the size of a thumb.

Oh, if anyone is interested, the way I like perch best. Butter in the pan, just hot enough that it is about to burn but not quite. Perch dipped in egg wash, rolled in flour and fried. After it is in the pan, you can turn the heat up just a tad so it starts to make very small crackly noises. Turn when it starts to curl up, if that's happening real quick, your pan is too hot, if it is not happening, the pan is not hot enough. You can turn several times so both sides are golden brown. If its getting on the black side, too hot, if it stays too light, not enough heat. Stay by the pan and pay attention. And just butter, any oil changes the temp of the frying and changes things. And when you first put the fish in the pan, start all skin side or all flesh side down so you can tell which ones you have turned and which you haven't.

This is, of course, the way my mother cooked perch and is the only correct way. I like it better than any I have ever had in any restaurant or fish fry. And perch is such a delicate flavor in itself, no spices works best for me. Even a bit of garlic overpowers the flavour.

This is almost better than Christmas dinner for me.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: New potatoes and perch today.

Post by labradors » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:15 am

Oh my! I was curious about this. What could new potatoes and chicken perches possibly have in common? Perch, the fish, couldn't have been further from my mind....

Glad you enjoyed your fish dinner Farrier, and fresh new garden potatoes already? Wow! :).

Linda

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Sounds heavenly!

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:12 am

That sounds absolutely delectable...makes my mouth water as I read it...wonder where i can land some perch, I live on the Rideau and the amount of fishing done here has made it almost impossible to find a perch more than a few inches long...I should start a fish farm and do it right..lol :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:05 am

Lol I admit that my mind worked the same as @labradors
I expected to see a picture of chickens nibbling potatoes while standing on a shiny new perch lol!

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:25 pm

Farrier, I would have loved to see a picture of your new potatoes, next time show us a picture. My patio potatoes are up quite a piece and just thinking about flowering so probably nothing under them yet.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Forget the new potatoes, lets see some fish pictures. Did you catch the perch?

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:46 pm

Boy that sounded like a yummy dinner! Can't wait for our beets in the garden to be ready for picking.
Who catches and cleans the perch?
I'm spoiled here; DH is the fisherman.
My favourite way to have perch is pan-fried in butter and sprinkled with a bit of salt and pepper. Mmm Mm Mm Mm Mm

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:55 pm

kenya wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:25 pm
Farrier, I would have loved to see a picture of your new potatoes, next time show us a picture. My patio potatoes are up quite a piece and just thinking about flowering so probably nothing under them yet.
Pic of tonights supper.
Attachments
Provender.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:36 pm

Trip to Rodney tomorrow drop my Xbow off at Santarossa Sportshop for their open house sale . Then on to Port Glasgow hopefully to catch some of those delicious perch Farriers talking about . Luck all 🐟🐟🐟🐟
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Gardening”