Dill weed

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Dill weed

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:41 pm

Dill.jpg

They call it dill weed. Not sure if its because of its texture, or that it sprouts up everywhere once you have grown it for a year. You never have to buy seeds again.

I like the stuff. Easy to hoe out if necessary. Grows in good year or a bad. Tastes good. You do some fried wild mushrooms in sweet cream and some dill, wow, that's a wonderful thing. Salads all year. Freeze some for soups. Dry it and use it in a shaker. Just wonderful stuff.

But you can get too much of a good thing. I hilled potatoes last week. Left dill wherever I could. But was going to have an overabundance, and would get killed anyway when I dig potatoes.

So today, I pulled a bunch up by the roots. Still young and tender and weedy, no yellow flowers and the sticks like when it matures. Bundled it up as I pulled and when I got a bunch where the stems took up the circle of my thumb and index finger, tied it with a short piece of twine. Made 40 bunches.

Took it into Sobeys and talked to the produce manager. They bought it from me for $! a pop, so $40. They say they like to sell fresh local produce when they can. They put it in a pail and some water, and with the roots still on, it will stay fresh and nice. People can buy something tasty fresh and local. They are charging $2 a bunch.

There is enough in the garden I should be able to do this about once a week for the next month and still have all I want. I am kind of impressed. Thinking next spring I can do the same with my Egyptian walking onions that are ready first thing. Of course $40 is not a fortune, but it pays for all my garden seeds. Sort of like selling eggs, you don't really make money, but if you can cover costs, its great.

Anyone else got stories about marketing their produce? I would like to hear.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Dill weed

Post by Happy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:18 pm

I’m impressed! And even more impressed that a chain grocery store purchased from some guy off the street without a bunch of forms and contracts and silly stuff. I thought those days were gone and I’m glad to hear I was wrong :).

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:20 pm

I just realized...they’ve probably seen your videos and they’re marketing it as Goat kisser dill. As soon as you left they put up a sign and upped it up $4 a bundle.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Finely chopped dill, chopped garlic or scapes, sour cream and some mayo makes a great salad dressing.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:13 am

Garlic scapes. There's my next one for them. Get too many all at once, even tho they are great to eat.

And Happy, I didn't come off the street, I came out of the garden. Dill doesn't grow very well on the street.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:05 am

I'm surprised they bought it as well, I would have thought they would need all kinds of papers and crap like that, good to hear they still have common sense.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:56 am

Very impressive on both ends, you producing something good and then finding a way to pass it on, and Sobeys, able to recognize a good thing when they see one.
Lets hope they don't buy meat that way ;)

Return to “Gardening”