Virginia Bluebells

KimChick
Head Chicken

Virginia Bluebells

Post by KimChick » Wed May 09, 2018 3:47 pm

I purchased some Virginia Bluebells from True Source Seeds on Etsy because NO ONE around here sells the plants. Back in Hamilton (from where I came), I had them beside a hosta. The bluebells grew and bloomed early, and by the time the hosta came up, the bluebells were done. So the hosta covered the spent bluebells. It was a perfect match.
Keeping my fingers crossed for the bluebells to sprout; I have to get used to doing the planting instead of buying plants! Because, as usual, I'm late in planting.

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Virginia Bluebells

Post by labradors » Wed May 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Mine are in flower now. I have had them FOREVER mine came from a plant swap in Mtl many years ago. I've been here 15 years and the darned things have never increased in size or produced seedlings :(. Guess I'm lucky that I still have them, as they are so pretty.

I'm looking for some Jupiter's Beard if anyone has a clue where to get them. It grows like a weed in England, but the seeds I bought never sprouted :(.

Linda

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu May 10, 2018 10:09 am

labradors wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:34 pm
Mine are in flower now. I have had them FOREVER mine came from a plant swap in Mtl many years ago. I've been here 15 years and the darned things have never increased in size or produced seedlings :(. Guess I'm lucky that I still have them, as they are so pretty.

I'm looking for some Jupiter's Beard if anyone has a clue where to get them. It grows like a weed in England, but the seeds I bought never sprouted :(.

Linda
You can buy the seeds from Richter's Herbs (just looked it up) https://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_ ... 8472.18663. It is also known as Centranthus Ruber and Red Valerian. The picture does not show large flowers, like on other websites. I have ordered from Richter's many times.
Back in Hamilton, I had a white valerian; it didn't smell very nice, but the flowers were a decent size.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu May 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks very much KimChick. I'll give Richters a try :)

Every time I watch Doc Martin, I am reminded that I really want to grow this plant!

Linda

Return to “Gardening”