Question Spaghetti Squash Woes

KimChick
Head Chicken

Spaghetti Squash Woes

Post by KimChick » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Does anyone know how to grow spaghetti squash so that it is stringy when cooked? I cut it into rings, steam it, ease it off the rind with a fork, and still had a lot of "duds" from the garden.
So, I have quite a bit in the freezer labelled "Non-Spaghetti Squash" because it's not stringy. And it's really hard to make spaghetti squash lasagna when it's not stringy. Grrrr. :help:

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Spaghetti Squash Woes

Post by labradors » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:34 pm

It sounds to me as if you have crossed seeds. I grew spaghetti squash once and it was like spaghetti inside. I never grew it again because hubby didn't think it was as good as pasta :(. I would be inclined to buy some new spaghetti squash seeds from a reputable seed house.

Could you use up the frozen stuff in soups, stews, curries, or give it to the chickens?

Linda

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm

If you harvest too early they dont have good strings yet....you have to wait until the rind goes bright yellow and the stem starts drying and you cannot push your fingernail into the rind......
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:45 pm

What she said. And you keep them just like winter squash, but not as long. When ready to cook, split end to end, scoop out the seeds and roast in the oven. We do upside down on a cookie sheet. After they are cooked, scoop them out of the shell. And they probably misnamed them. They are not really spaghetti squash, they are spaghetti LIKE squash. They should be jacked up on their truth in advertising.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:13 pm

labradors wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:34 pm
It sounds to me as if you have crossed seeds. I grew spaghetti squash once and it was like spaghetti inside. I never grew it again because hubby didn't think it was as good as pasta :(. I would be inclined to buy some new spaghetti squash seeds from a reputable seed house.

Could you use up the frozen stuff in soups, stews, curries, or give it to the chickens?

Linda
I don't think so; the seeds came from a package. Unless the flowers were cross pollinated when all were in bloom?

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:16 pm

WLLady wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm
If you harvest too early they dont have good strings yet....you have to wait until the rind goes bright yellow and the stem starts drying and you cannot push your fingernail into the rind......
Hmmm... we know about picking when bright yellow, but maybe we need to pay closer attention to that, and do the fingernail test.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:23 pm

labradors wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:34 pm

Linda
It does get used up. I even use squash in bread occasionally. Our chickens get some, too.
A good spaghetti squash does make a good lasagna, as well as a lightly curried dish of it. However, if it is not stringy, it goes into soup, etc.

Return to “Gardening”