When to start planting?

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

When to start planting?

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:47 pm

Some people have told me you can plant potatoes in the fall for the next year here. Anyone done that? Been told the same with peas.

Nice day here, windy, sunny, +8 or something. Rained last night. But I had dug some rows last fall wanting to try a couple things early. So today, I planted 8 hills of potatoes, 6 reds of some kind and two Caribe's. All sprouting pretty good already. Possible these don't make it, but if they do I will be pleased. I love my new potatoes.

Got to see if I can find some onion sets shortly too.

I know we will get more snow and lots of freezing. Not saying I did the right thing in planting today, but it feels good to have stuff in the ground.

Any other frustrated gardeners? Please chime in.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: When to start planting?

Post by labradors » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:40 pm

You will probably be ok with the spuds.

Last year, hubby accidentally left several potatoes in the ground. I like to cover my veggie beds with tarps to try to keep the weeds from spreading early in the spring before I can get out there. Well, come planting time, the tarp was lifting up, and the whole area where we had grown potatoes was covered in thriving potato plants! A few of them were quite yellowed, so I planted some more, just in case they didn't make it, but I need not have bothered as they all grew and were GREAT!

Linda

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:48 am

Yes I've had the same thing happen with potatoes.

JP*
On the Roost

Post by JP* » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:33 am

I have had sprouted potatoes overwinter in the compost and start growing in the spring. If you mound hay on the sprouted plants when the weather is to turn cold/snow it may help out.

We still have plenty of snow and ice in our yard yet...no bare grass anywhere.

I am guilty of the gardeners itch, last night my son and I planted 8 Redbud Seeds and 4 Honey/Black Locust seeds. I don't know the difference between a Black Locust vs Honey Locust seed pod.

treerooted
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by treerooted » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:58 am

I've got some spring fever as well, but won't be planting anything early. My soil seems to be pure clay so everything is rock solid and will probably be cold for quite some time. But I did manage to start mulching part of my new garden area late fall so hopefully that will help! I'm converting some hay field to garden space so it's going to be a long-term project to get it productive.

I've got my tentative first plant-in-the-ground date as April 14, but if the weather looks promising I'll start a bit earlier! I remember last year we got a light dusting of snow in may, so I don't want to jump the gun (as hard as that is!).

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:49 am

Good luck with the new gardens @treerooted! Yes lots of clay here on the County! I’m used to sandy loam but have had fun with starting several gardens in the clay soil here though it does get nice to work with once you start getting some good compost into it.
I think I’d rather turn a hayfield into a garden than a cropped field as the deeper roots and organic matter would have better fertility...just have to get the hay out of it first though!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:58 am

If you can actually turn the sod upside down instead of rototilling it, the hayfield disappears all in one year. Don't work the soil too deep this year. Don't plant potatoes or other things that the product is deep and has to be dug up. Carrots or beats are ok. Onions, peas okra etc should do well. Lettuce and beans. corn , just about anything that doesn't require you to go deep into the turned grass. Your biggest job will be with a hoe, getting rod of any volunteers coming up from the underneath, and weed seeds that have been buried deeper for a few years will germinate and grow too. Be like Santa Clause, hoe, hoe, hoe.

Over this year, all the green and stuff will rot in and next year you should have a super patch to work. Good luck with it.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:25 pm

I have accidentally left spuds in the garden over winter (missed while digging them) and they sprouted and grew just fine. I think you should be good farrier ;) Good Luck!
I am itching to get in the garden as well but am concentrating on clean up first, it's amazing what has popped up already!!

Return to “Gardening”