Garden 2018 wishlist and offerings

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Garden 2018 wishlist and offerings

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:05 am

I know, its too early. As the wind howls and its -15 or so, the days are getting longer. Goats are showing, had to break a broodie a little while back. Spring will take its merry bloody time, but it will arrive.

And I can't stop myself. Thinking and planning and maybe going to order some seeds.

But before I order seeds, I thought I would like to see what anyone here might consider for trades.

I think I know where I can get some sweet potato shoots. I always have poor luck with them. I passed along some of my Egyptian Walking onions to some that swore they would send me some seeds, and I have never heard from again. (You know who you are.) You just can't trust some people, but out of the generosity of my warm wonderful sole, I am offering to be taken advantage of again.

Unique and not regular stuff I can get on any seed rack. I do like my root vegetables and squashes. I am pretty good for potatoes. Unique tasting beans are desirable, but not so much for drying. I already grow lots of salad stuff, but suggestions are always welcome. I did discover (for me at least) Red Russian Kale. Don't let the name fool you, it doesn't even seem to be related to curly kale which I don't like mostly because of the texture. The Russian red is early and produces all year with very little bolting, use like lettuce or spinach, salads, stirfries etc. I also have wild mustard greens that I love but the farmers hate. It is prolific and needs a lot of it hoed out. Dill is well established in my garden and gets hoed out and used from where it doesn't belong. Okra will be grown, we like it in soups and stews, I like the red better than the green, doesn't go as woody as quickly. Okra can be grown just for the flowers too, its very pretty, even though I am not much on flower growing.

So to share from me this year:
1. Seeds from one volunteer squash. Looks like a cross between a pie pumpkin and a Butternut squash. Butternut coulour, pumpkin shape, small seed cavity and tasty orangish flesh. Only had the one, but saved the seeds. Want to try it again and see if it comes through second generation. Would like to share geographically, ie Easten Ontario and Torontoish are, see if they do better or worse in another area, and in case I have a disaster of some sort and someone else doesn't, I might want seeds back. Quantities are limited, but I could get 10 seeds or so to about 6 or 8 others.
2. Red okra seeds. They work better of started in trays (egg cartons) and put out about the time the soil is warm enough for beans.
3. I have found a strawberry I really like. Sweet, smells wonderful, doesn't ship so it never grown commercially. Mara du bois is the name, and I could dig some crowns at the right time. Everbearing.
4. Rapsberry called Polka. Primocane fruiting, so mow them down in the fall they come back next year. Good flavor, everbearing, start producing about the first of August.was picking them into November even after a couple frosts. Again, I can send some roots if someone wants.
5 An OP sweet corn called Tophat a guy in Oregon developed. I am not crazy about this one, its ok but not great, but has neat multicoloured kernels.

My wishlist:
1. A tomato that is really tasty for sandwiches. One that gets big and misshapen and cracks as it ripens on the vine.
2. A wild thorny blackberry that bears heavy so the vines droop down that I can sort of let grow wild.
3. A good non grafted wild grape.
4. Anybody got a unique wildish or ancient apple? I would maybe get some scion wood and graft it and see what it is like in a few years.
5. Just about anything that will sort of grow wild and take care of itself after it is established interests me, long as it is not invasive and takes over. Kind of like the dill above or the mustard greens, prolific but easy to kill out.

Anyone is interested, add on here as discussion or PM me.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Garden 2018 wishlist and offerings

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:15 am

The tomato seeds will be with you around Feb - Costoluto Genovese! Ask WWW what these are like. Ugly and delicious.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:40 pm

I just looked up that tomato KB...ugly is right...lol...looks great sliced...damn you people!!!! Xmas isnt quite over and here you got me dreaming about sun ripened tomatoes in my garden....I found a delicious variety a few years ago which i have been sed saving annually..its called Ernie's Plump..and its awesome...love the flavour and the shape and they seem to be quite resistant to that darned blight....always a good thing...i have a tremendous amount of seeds saved from various tomatoes and squash, pumpkins, sunflowers, beans....can share if anyone wants some...I'm always lookingbto cut the seed cost for the garden, cheapo that I am... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:54 pm

ALso Abu Rawan if we have a hot dry summer. Smaller fruit but highly concentrated flavour.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Oh :sSig_censored: that reminds me! @Jaye I still have your walking onions :?
If my head wasn't attached...
Don't worry (too much ;) ) Farrier, I will get some goodies out to you :) I will be sorting seeds very shortly in preparation for starting peppers.
Killerbunny is right about the Costoluto Genovese... I'm not a fan of the taste of raw tomatoes, but that one I can (almost) eat fresh lol.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:07 pm

No worries, www. it's not like I'll be planting them anytime soon. :-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:10 pm

Well I have no seeds to trade did not really plant much last year, but I have already been looking thru seed catelogues and online, coloured carrots are my focus for 2018.

I am looking for raspberry canes though.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:48 pm

JimW wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:10 pm
Well I have no seeds to trade did not really plant much last year, but I have already been looking thru seed catelogues and online, coloured carrots are my focus for 2018.

I am looking for raspberry canes though.

JimW
Yup, got 2 seed catalogues in the mail. It's time to start thinking out what to get and not wait until the last minute. This way we won't feel rushed into making any decisions. Yup, that sounds like a good plan to me!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Speaking of seeds....
Has anyone ever started German Chamomile from seed? I've tried twice without success. I will try again, though. Around here, I have not found any plants for sale in the Spring like I had years ago when I lived in Southern Ontario. I used to dry the flowers and make my own chamomile tea; it was divinely tasty.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:02 pm

Yes i have grown it from seed. It needs a lot of patience....mine took a long time to germinate. It also sprouted better when sprinkled on the surface and just pressed into the surface and a little bit of soil sprinkled on top. I had to be careful with keeping the soil damp but not wet. Once it germinated it grew like a weed...but getting it to germinate was a bit of a chore....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Gardening”